Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing a private plate pre sale......
MOz

posted on 8/2/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Changing a private plate pre sale......

Our discovery is currently registered to my father in law (we bought it off him Nov 06) and has his private plate on it.

We are in the process of selling it and I wondered what we needed to do to put his (father in law) private plate on retention and have the original 04 reg plate put back on. We have people coming to see it soon and if they want to take it away same day I guess we will have to have it changed before they can do that?????

What forms do we need or is there a number I can phone for a DVLA helpline and advice???

Help??

MOz

[Edited on 8/2/07 by MOz]

marcjagman

posted on 8/2/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Basically you fill a form in and send it of with the money. They need to know details of the MOT number and tax number, can't remember if you need to send the tax disc though. You can go to your local DVLA office to do this, it saves a lot of time. Address is in yellow pages or phone book.
MOz

posted on 8/2/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a read through the DVLA website so answered my own question really.....

Anyone else done this recently and any tips or pitfalls to avoid?!?!?

MOz

k33ts

posted on 8/2/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
last time i done one at local office they wouldnt do it while i waited took them 5 days.

tukcustoms.com

Davg

posted on 8/2/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yup as above DVLA used to do over the counter same day turn around, not no more! Best bet do it now rather than potentially holding up any sale.

Photocopy documents also for pot'n buyer.
If you don't put the number on retention as you know buyer of the car holds the rights.

cheers
D

DarrenW

posted on 9/2/07 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
As said the only pitfall is the time it takes and the money. Recommend doing it as soon as possible.
I would also seriously consider getting your FIL to do it. Id hate to see the log book come back with an extra owner just before you sell it. I seem to recall i got the MOT stamped and handmarked with new reg number, new tax disc issued and i think log book came back through normal channels (ie may take a while). I hope someone can correct me ref logbook - i dont remember it being stamped and hand marked but could be wrong.

[Edited on 9/2/07 by DarrenW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.