Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More work on the rear suspension
Alan B

posted on 9/2/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
More work on the rear suspension

Some progress on my rear suspension...that isn't the actual shocker I'm using, but it gives you some idea...

Feb 9 rear
Feb 9 rear

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mansfield

posted on 9/2/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I love your work as it is amazing.

I would be a bit concerned by the rocker pivot though - could you go through the outer chassis member and use a better supported pivot shaft?

I don't wish to criticise, as I said I love your work.

nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
The pivot mount does not look any different to the areil atom set up and I do not know of any of these failing.
Nice work!
What have you used as a pivot bearing?

Alan B

posted on 9/2/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys..comments always welcome, good or bad.

There are diagonal tubes and side gussets to go in yet around the mount...I looked at many alternatives...but this seemed optimum.

The rocker pivot is 3/4" diameter shoulder screw with about 3/4" of it's length buried into the chassis bracket. the bearings are flanged oilites (oil impregnated bronze for those who are not familiar.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of a photo of the parts?
I have used nylon bushes on my present car, but my next car will have bearings.

Alan B

posted on 9/2/07 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sure, I'll get some pics for you.....

[Edited on 9/2/07 by Alan B]

sgraber

posted on 10/2/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I love your design. Lovely piece of kit Alan. You've got mad skilz.

One thing I can say is maybe rethink the rocker pivots? This suggestion relates directly to my own chassis' oversteer condition. I had Chris Harrison (the expert) come over to the shop last night to look over my car and talk about the issues I experienced at the track. When I told him about my oversteer issue and how the rear suspension is incredibly stiff, he immediately went to the rear rockers and pointed at my oilite brass bushings. Quote: "I'm almost 100% certain that the bushing is binding at the bellcrank causing the suspension to not work properly."

Something to think about.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
More pics as promised.....

Feb 11 01
Feb 11 01

Feb 11 02
Feb 11 02

[img][/img]

nitram38

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the pictures Alan.
Do you have one more showing the bearing side of the cam?

Alan B

posted on 11/2/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The first of those pics shows the bearing fitted...one flanged oilite bushing each side...

Rocker section
Rocker section

[Edited on 11/2/07 by Alan B]

Tralfaz

posted on 12/2/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks similar to what I planned on doing, though I intend on using Nadella Combined Needle Bearings (Available from Pegasus Racing). Certainly not cheap, but I am concerned about exactly what Steve mentioned (Though to be fair I have heard of many racers using oilite type bearings with success).

I was figuring on having my rockers Water-Jet cut, but am curious Alan, what sort of tolerances can you achieve with your Plasma CNC?

Brian

nitram38

posted on 12/2/07 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again for the picture Alan.
Alan B

posted on 13/2/07 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
Looks similar to what I planned on doing, though I intend on using Nadella Combined Needle Bearings (Available from Pegasus Racing). Certainly not cheap, but I am concerned about exactly what Steve mentioned (Though to be fair I have heard of many racers using oilite type bearings with success).

I was figuring on having my rockers Water-Jet cut, but am curious Alan, what sort of tolerances can you achieve with your Plasma CNC?

Brian

Hi Brian,

I don't anticipate any problems with the bushings. Binding only becomes a problem with either lack of lube, or excessive offset loadings that create moments which cause high frictional loadings (desk drawer effect). I've designed for and used enough oilites in my career that I don't anticipate a problem...but, ahem, we'll see..

The plasma in general I'd trust to plus/minus 0.020" (0.5mm). Anything important like holes I'll just pilot undersize and then open up with a drill as pairs.

nitram38

posted on 14/2/07 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Alan, I went to my local bearing shop and looked for bearings that could cope with side loads. They recommended the same oilites as yours.
They only cost £0.65p over here so I have ordered some.
I will copy your layout (my cams will be different) but as there is a gap where both bearings meet, I am going to install a grease nipple to make lubrication easier.

Alan B

posted on 14/2/07 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Alan, I went to my local bearing shop and looked for bearings that could cope with side loads. They recommended the same oilites as yours.
They only cost £0.65p over here so I have ordered some.
I will copy your layout (my cams will be different) but as there is a gap where both bearings meet, I am going to install a grease nipple to make lubrication easier.

Good idea about the nipples...crossed my mind too...

nitram38

posted on 14/2/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Your Cam pictures inspired me to do my own for PROJECT X

They are front and rear cams. They are unequal because of my new air ride suspension
The shocks only rise 1 1/2" but I need the car to rise 3".
I am planning on running the car about 2-3" of the road !

front cam assembly
front cam assembly

[img][/img]

geoffreyh

posted on 18/5/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm wondering how you progressed since your last information.

It would be great if you could give us an update.

How is the Meerkat btw?

Geoff

Alan B

posted on 18/5/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

Update after this weekend.

The Meerkat is live and well, just on hold until I've finished fitting this little project in...

Thanks for following my progress (or lack of......)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.