Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Things to do in Scotland?
C10CoryM

posted on 11/2/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Things to do in Scotland?

Hey guys,
Anyone know of a map that has some of the main things to hit up while in Scotland? Thinking about heading over this year to see some medieval/war museums and of course sample the local brewers and distillers. Must do things are: poke around the Isle of Skye (my ancestry), and head south to see Hadrian's wall etc. Mostly going to stay in Scotland though I think. Looking for some things to see while there. Not sure what time of year I will be there though.
Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 12/2/07 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Try visitscotland.co.uk

its what used to be called the Scottish tourist board.

[Edited on 12/2/07 by jamesbond007ltk]

macnab

posted on 12/2/07 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Don’t bother with Culloden battle field, it’s just a boring bit of waste ground (Invernesses income just half’s). Use to live right next to it. A cool thing to see is the Blackrock Gorge near Evanton (also use to stay there). I'd tell you exactly where it was if it wasn't for the very real danger that you'd fall in! It’s about 130ft deep, 10ft wide & an extremely dangerous death trap, I ain’t kidding either. Me and my friends use to throw old lawn mowers etc in when we bunked off from school…

Went over to sky last summer, I have to say it was quite pleasant and I even spotted the sun at one point. My gran and cousins live over there, so I have been rather a lot. My family (and me) spent many a very wet summer holiday over there in the caravan, which I now own. Don't bother with the sky bridge it's so far away it's crazy just get the ferry, even been on the ferry's bridge when I was wee as well.

Cool thing about the north of Scotland is that you can drive right round it in just a day, though bring an umbrella for FortWilliam as it rains 99% of the time Oh and beware the minging sheep wandering up and down the tiny Mallaig road not to mention the huge fish lorries! (that's the road by the way that you need to take if your going to sky)

Oops starting to ramble again...sorry

[Edited on 12/2/07 by macnab]

jollygreengiant

posted on 12/2/07 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
Nice quiet little place called Gairloch. I think the inn there is called The Inn, the beds were comfortable, service good and the Food is superb. Just to the north of the Isle of Skye.

Oh and I spent 9 days driving around the coast of Scotland (inc 1 day to get up to it and 1 day to get home). It was not enough and and to my mind it was rushed.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

flak monkey

posted on 12/2/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Eileen Donan Castle is worth a visit, on the west side of Scotland

http://www.eileandonancastle.com/

Pitlochary (go see the salmon ladder) and the Edradour distillery is also well worth a trip (quite possibly the best Whiskey, ever. Particularly like the un-chill filtered stuff ) Also go and have a look across queens view while you are there.

Gairloch is nice too. Redpoint is a nice walking area if thats your thing. The Torridon area also has some lovely views.

David

Heres a few of my pics from a couple of years back, and yes the sun really was shining)

Redpoint:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Blue.jpg

Torridon to Diabaig road:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/another.jpg

Torridon valley:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Good%20view.jpg

Queens View:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Queens%20View.jpg

Pitlochary Salmon ladder:
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/2Salmon%20Ladder.jpg

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Fozzie

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cory, also try this web site...

Undiscovered Scotland

Click on each area and you are given more....
If military history is 'your thing' you might enjoy Fort George, they have a militaria museum there that we 'got lost' in for nearly a whole day!

North Central Index ......

Fort George

Put your cursor over all the places marked in red and it will open another page!

I think it could be a good web site for you to enable to plan your trip.....have fun.....you will love Scotland!........

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

macnab

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Fort George, cool place really big. oh and hit that bump in the road at 80mph and you really fly

athoirs

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Help ma bob John!!

Where the hell did you dig that photo up from!!!

people with shorts on at Forestburn

clbarclay

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
1. Cross to Skye via the Glenelg - Kylerhea ferry if its still running. Brilliant single track roads to and from and a tiny boat carrying 4 cars across the Sound of Sleat (one of the fastest tidal races in the country).

2. Drive to Applecross from Kishorn . Up the Bealach na Ba ( The pass of the cattle). All hairpin bends, a bit like a miniature Stelvio pass in Italy.

3. Stay at the Achiltibuie Hotel for peace and solitude, not to mention fantastic food and views of the Summer isles.

4. If possible take a trip to the Outer Hebrides. Miles of deserted white sand on the beacges of South Uist. On a busy day you might just see one other persons footprints.

macnab

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
1. Cross to Skye via the Glenelg - Kylerhea ferry if its still running. Brilliant single track roads to and from and a tiny boat carrying 4 cars across the Sound of Sleat (one of the fastest tidal races in the country).
quote:

I thought that sank, some sort off dodgy insurance scam. My gran told me about it last time I was over.

macnab

posted on 12/2/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
na it looks like the old buckets still going, maybe they refloated it.

http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/about.htm

David Jenkins

posted on 12/2/07 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay

I've been on that road - I was nearly car-sick, and I was driving! I don't there was 10 yards anywhere along that route where the road stayed straight, or on the same level. A real drive-it-yourself roller-coaster.

Coming off the ferry we met a bloke towing a caravan in the other direction - goodness only knows how he coped.

[Edited on 12/2/07 by David Jenkins]

C10CoryM

posted on 12/2/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Good info so far guys. I'll take all I can get. Thanks.

Looks like we are planning on mid september, after school starts to reduce the crowds/cost. Probably spend 7days in scotland. If its rainy, well I think we can deal with that seeing as I live in an ex-rain forest. September gives us a chance to take in a football match too .
We are both car guys so any good racing or events to see in sept?

I am assuming once you are on the motorways you make pretty good time?
Where is the best place to see Hadrian's wall? Is Antonines wall still intact in areas or just a bump in the road? Any museums/dig sites/etc that cater to the Roman history? How about the Norse history?

Thanks again.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/2/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I went in September - it's a really good time. The crowds are down, and all the restaurants/hotels/shops/etc are relaxed and less stressed.

Weather is often superb in autumn as well - not too hot, midgies are scarcer, and the colours are fabulous.

iank

posted on 12/2/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Best (and only) place to see Hadrian's wall is in England No Roman stuff in Scotland (AFAIK).

http://www.hadrians-wall.org will help. Vindorlanda and Housesteads are both good. If you're travelling from/to Scotland and taking the east coast roads Holy Island is worth a visit (check the tide times before going across )

For Norse history you want the Shetland Islands, but they are a long trip, though I think there is some stuff on Orkney. You're not around for Up-Helly-Aa (January) which is very entertaining.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.