Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: De-scratching Plexi and Lexan
zetec7

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
De-scratching Plexi and Lexan

I had a bit of a shunt in July on my Kawasaki Concours (hit a large deer), and gouged up the edge of my new (and expensive!) Lexan windscreen. I was going to go to a local plastics shop, but on the pohne they didn't sound too hopeful about being able to fix it, so in a fit of pique, I thought I'd have a go myself. I started off sanding down past the gouges with 80 grit black oxide paper, then to 200 grit. Then I used 400 grit, 600 grit (wet) and 1000 grit (wet). By then it was nice and smooth, but opaque. I used some strange "Made in France" polish (it may be familiar to you in the UK, but here no-one's ever heard of it) called "Ouater". It's kind of a cotton wool soaked in day-glo pink goo, which is a very fine abrasive. Anyway, after 10 minutes soft polishing with that, it was perfectly clear! No scratches, just like new!!! - Posted in case others find the information useful...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ouater, pronounced "water" is a metal polish designed for aluminum. It is very aggressive when in contact with paintwork - it will stripo the paint right off so be careful with it.

Nice to know it works on plastic

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/2/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
It's kind of a cotton wool soaked in day-glo pink goo, which is a very fine abrasive.

jewellers rouge perhaps?

BenB

posted on 12/2/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
You can also use toothpaste. Used to get scratches out of crystal juggling balls don't you know
And your windscreen with be plaque free and minty fresh for weeks!!!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
id heard someone say toothpaste is good for scratched cds

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

PeterW

posted on 12/2/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know a supplier of this Ouater stuff in the UK...?

Cheers

Peter

Phil.J

posted on 12/2/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I used some stuff made by Meguires (called Plastex I think) to polish the windows in the soft top of my Moke, worked really well on this sort of soft plastic.
ATB
Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.