Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK or Avon?
gr8ging

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
MK or Avon?

Hi, newby here,
I am going to build a seven type kit but can't decide on which one. Obviously money is the biggest factor, I am aiming for sub £6K. Was quite set on MK Indy (still am) but have just looked at the tiger site and the Avon looks good. I live on the south coast so most if not all manufacturers are miles away.
Any thoughts/suggestions which kit to go for?

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

gr8ging

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention I already have a ZX9r engine!

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

oliwb

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Avon gets my vote, but be prepared for the onslaught......Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.
MK Indy I reckon, Just the job for your bike engine,
I'll get my Flack jacket.

Get to have a look at a finished example of a few makes if you can then make your decision.
Steve.

andyps

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the MNR - a really nice chassis which has been well thought out.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

indykid

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to know the pitfalls of the avon, have a search for posts by avoneer. he built one, so you should be able to get a feel for the quality you can expect.

brand loyalty dictates that i'd be expected to say MK, but imo, they are a far better proposititon, if only for bonnet fit and the quality of the glassfibre.

MNR have probably the best kit about. it's a really nice car, but i doubt you'll build one for 6 grand.

i still think the MK nosecone is the nicest around too.
tom

westindy

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
indy v Avon

I've got a MKIndy/zx9 well sorted kit when I built mine, a mate was building an Avon at the same time ( nightmare with fibreglass - he still is 5 years later! ).
MK crew are well nice to deal with.

graememk

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
i'm building a mk, but iwould also look at mac1 and mnr

all 3 very good kits

GTS is also a nice kit but supply is sometimes an issue

mandbsheldon

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the feature in March edition of Which Kit Car.

Leigh

coozer

posted on 16/2/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would say MNR Vortx. Superb.

Don't forget to check the Procomp LaGold though. IMHO its much better than the Avon...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

oliwb

posted on 16/2/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Wott about a Tiger B6?? or a mac1 would get my vote.....Oli.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mandbsheldon

posted on 16/2/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote

David Jenkins

posted on 16/2/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than taking the distinctly biased advice you'll find here ( ) why don't you hold fire and go to the next big show - you can sit in the cars, talk to the kit makers, and maybe arrange a ride in the cars you like.

Personally, I would recommend that you build your own chassis - but I'm also biased!

David

Hellfire

posted on 16/2/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a choice between the MK Indy and the Avon, I'd go for the MK. I really like the Avon but given some of the stories I've read on here about them, I think the MK is the better package overall.

Phil

[Edited on 16-2-07 by Hellfire]

ayoungman

posted on 16/2/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
As an Avon builder, expect the build to have a few more challenges than the average kit. To some people, me included, this I like. I enjoy adding my own personal touches to my car. If you want a more step by step, straight forward kit, look at other kits. The Avon in my view is not for beginners. Also, get to the shows and look at the cars in the flesh. HTH

"just like that !"

ayoungman

posted on 16/2/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
As an Avon builder, expect the build to have a few more challenges than the average kit. To some people, me included, this I like. I enjoy adding my own personal touches to my car. If you want a more step by step, straight forward kit, look at other kits. The Avon in my view is not for beginners. Also, get to the shows and look at the cars in the flesh. HTH

"just like that !"

carlgeldard

posted on 16/2/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I had an Avon and If I had my time over again then it would be an Indy that I would go for. But for the same kind of money you could look at a Raw Striker or Mac 1 or Vortx.

Carl

mac1ZR

posted on 16/2/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
MAC 1, good kit, reasonable price, very helpful chaps, got all the bits you need.
Avoneer

posted on 16/2/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
After seeing most of the manafacturers and cars and hearing the stories, I would definately go for the MK.

As Hellfire says, it's a better overall package.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

blockhead_rich

posted on 16/2/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget the Luego products, but not sure you would be under 6k though.
Rich

piddy

posted on 16/2/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The Indy would get my vote.
oliwb

posted on 16/2/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me why the indy is soooooo popular? Just given all the problems with it that have come to light recently I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. But then my bodywork falls off at speed (apparently). Strikes me as odd that one of the former designers of the indy (who has now left the MK company) does a retro fitting kit to correct its inadequacies in the handling department? (Of course this is all speculation as I've never driven one to compare....just seems odd!)....Oli.

JoelP

posted on 16/2/07 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
you seem to be blowing the handling issues up a little bit here oli. Its a minor misdesign that MK has seen fit to correct in instances where it matters. Yet suddenly the car 'tend to dive into ditches'. I think you've spent too much time with calvinx...
oliwb

posted on 17/2/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
I knoq for a fact that mine doesn't toe out or have positive camber as it toes in and has too much negative camber! Its got nowt to do with Calvinix as we very, very rarely talk about MK's as niether of us have one so what would be the point? Contrary to popular opinion I/we have better things to do then try to slag off MK or anyone else for that matter! Just take a look at the pics of the Tiger rebuild that will be going up later today and you'll realise we've both been too busy! Oli.

PS.
My personal opinion for those who want to know is that the inday has become a victim of its own success. They've become so popular that some of there owners have become cloudied when it comes to its inadequacies and will not accept constructive criticsm. I do hope that ppl wont think I'm having a go. I just think that there are better packages out there than the MK. Such as Mac1 or MNR for instance.

oliwb

posted on 17/2/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you Chris....fiinally someone has given a reasoned response from the MK camp. See if someone had put up their side of an argument like that then I'd be tempted myself to buy an MK. Its just a shame ppl get so worked up over it. I'll admit my Tiger is heavy and has bad fitting bodywork (all the cat's I'm aware of do) but I'm trying to do something about it now instead of whinging or telling everyone theres nothing wrong with it.....Oli.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.