Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow short block with liners
barraw

posted on 19/2/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow short block with liners

Hello, I've just bought a fully recon'd short block from a company in newark. It's got new pistons, shells, camshaft bearings etc and bored from 1600 to 1640, and fully balanced conrod and crank. I noticed however that it has wet-liners inserted :- is that a problem? (I just paid £600 for it with a stage 2 Unl head)
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Seems strange that its linered at 1640cc

i'd guess that someone tried to bore it to 1700+ it didn't work so linered it and sold it as 1640.

How many cylinders are lined?

No experience of any of this but internet wisdom suggests more than one cylinder lined isn't good due to reduced strength in the block.

Memphis Twin

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
You won't have a problem. Many Formula Ford 1600 race engines are linered back down to 1600 as virgin blocks are virtually unobtainable.

An added benefit is that the liner material is probably of a better quality and less porous than the original casting.

BTW are you sure you mean WET liners? They should be dry. Wet liners are generally used in an alloy block, and are clamped in place by the cylinder head.

barraw

posted on 20/2/07 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I just phoned the engine shop, who said they are dry liners, not wet liners. The previous owner would have used the liners to reduce it back down to 1600, and that the steel liners are stronger than the original cast anyway, and there is no chance of water leaking into the oil. thanks fellas.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
david walker

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be something from Newark Engines? A company not connected with me.

The liners will be cast iron - not steel!

MikeR - if you don't know what you are talking about, why post such rubbish? Just re-read what you have written. Why try and mislead forum users in this way?

Memphis Twin - sensible and accurate reply

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

barraw

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave, I can see the liners from underneath and it looks way too thin to be cast - can you take a look at this photo and let me know?

http://wayne.barraclough.googlepages.com/DSC03138.JPG

david walker

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they will be cast iron liners. They are readily available for block reclamation work. As a rule of thumb you are generally OK machining them down to a section of about 1.5mm.

The only steel liners that I am aware of are the very thin type (0.5mm?)sometimes fitted in Jap diesel engines such as Isuzu.

In the last two weeks I have reclaimed two F3 Toyota Blocks and one Lotus T.Cam Block for customers in this way. There's a procedure to follow and you need decent and appropriate equipment to do the job but it's not rocket science.

All good FF1600 blocks are linered (better material than parent block). I understand that the going rate for a freshly linered 711M, 1600 block, decked and with crank journals honed is about £600.

Not and advert, and my prices are similar to most, but I charge £80 per bore. Just as apoint of information.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

gazza285

posted on 20/2/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
They will be cast iron. The liners are fully supported by the block so they don't need to be thick. Wet liners, however, are not always fully supported and tend to be thicker. If you think that they are too thin ask yourself what piston rings are made of.

Slow typing.

[Edited on 20/2/07 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david walker
All good FF1600 blocks are linered (better material than parent block). I understand that the going rate for a freshly linered 711M, 1600 block, decked and with crank journals honed is about £600.

Interesting! I was somewhat gutted when I found my 711 block was linered and running standard sized pistons, especialy as I had bought a set of +90 1300 pistons ready to get it bored up to 1700 (ish).

I was also told that lots of these blocks end up linered due to Formula Ford, but that some were linered from the factory to save a porous casting.

barraw

posted on 20/2/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
£600 is on par with what I've just paid for it, but to be honest, I didn't really know what I was buying - it looked shiny :-) LOL
MikeR

posted on 21/2/07 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david walker
MikeR - if you don't know what you are talking about, why post such rubbish? Just re-read what you have written. Why try and mislead forum users in this way?

Because i didn't know it was rubbish but wasn't sure it was 100% true - hence the comment about it being internet wisdom.

If someone is about to part with 600 quid, then i think its a fair thing to say "i've read on the internet that this might be a problem". Hopefully to slow them down and let someone, who knows what they are talking about like your self, pop along and give the truth. If i'd said nothing and i was right it would be a pretty mean thing to do, especially if barraw checked at 11:06 and found no replies so assumed it was ok.

Now we all know the truth & we've got a happy bunny with a decent engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.