Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much oil in Baffled R1
nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
How much oil in Baffled R1

How much oil did you put in your engine.
My instructions say to put enough til normal sight glass level. Run at 3-4000 rpm and add 100ml measures until the oil is at the top of the sight glass. Then add a further 350ml to that.
The engine will find it's own level and throw the remainder into the catch tank.
Has anyone got the overall amount for a standard 05 without additional oil cooler etc?
It will save me a whole heap of messing about !

nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris
locoR1

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
As Chris said have always filled mine to top of sight glass and never had a problem.

Dave.............

Ferrino

posted on 28/2/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
The 'top-of-the-sight-glass' rule: is that with the engine idling? Or a few mins after switching off (which is the point at which you measure oil level with the bike Haynes manual)?

The way I've done it to date is to firstly jack up the front of the car until the engine is horizontal (the rake of the car will mean it isn't level at normal ride height). Then idle the engine for a few mins, switch off and leave for a few mins for oil to drain into sump. Get the oil level to the top of the sight glass and then add 250ml. This was the protocol advised to me by Rich Miles and I haven't had any problems with oil surge on trackdays (from looking at the oil pressure logs) or with clutch slippage (which I think is a problem when you overfill by too much).

With the above method (top of glass after idle + 250 ml) the oil level is roughly in the middle of the sight glass when idling.

There seem to be a lot of variables with oil filling in BECs!

[Edited on 28/2/07 by Ferrino]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Top of the sight glass with the engine idling works for me.

By filling to the top of the sight glass with the engine off then putting in another 250ml over the top, you don't know if you need to top up again until you've lost 250ml and can see the level on the sight glass again!

[Edited on 28/2/07 by ChrisGamlin]

progers

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
As Chris says, its much better to have a reference when the engine is idling as there is some confusion over the "switch the engine off and wait a few seconds, then look at sight glass" method. The level changes depending on how long you wait....

I have found that 1/2 to 3/4 full on sight glass when idling is ideal (engine warm).

Cheers

Paul

nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
So how much oil is that in total?
And what oil have you found best?

[Edited on 28/2/2007 by nitram38]

progers

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
around 3 litres (depends if you have remote oil filter and/or oil cooler too).

Paul

progers

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, my comments were for the 2003 R1.

-Paul

nitram38

posted on 28/2/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help guys!
Ferrino

posted on 28/2/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
By filling to the top of the sight glass with the engine off then putting in another 250ml over the top, you don't know if you need to top up again until you've lost 250ml and can see the level on the sight glass again!

Sorry, what I meant to say was that this is how I overfilled for the very first time - you then work out where this relates to on the glass when the engine is idling (approx. halfway up the glass) and when the car is at normal ride height.

jimgiblett

posted on 2/3/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I've always filled mine to the top of the sight glass. Or middle of sight glass when engine is running. Never had any problems road or track even with soft compound A048s. As said slightly overdoing it should be too bad as it'll spit it out.

On very hot days be sure to keep an eye on it as the R1 can use a bit of oil when really thrashing it on track.

- Jim

ChrisGamlin

posted on 2/3/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Also worth noting that the 02-03 engine has a deeper sump than the carbed engines, not sure if / how much that affects the capacity overall?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.