Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fan switch
hearnia

posted on 8/3/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Fan switch

Hi,

Just tweaking the indy before she is released into the sun, had a problem last year that the fan wasnt cutting in and the indy was overheating when idling after short periods.

I wasnt running a relay last year and figured the switch wasnt capable of running at the sort of current drawn by the fan motor upon starting.

So now I am running a fan switch with a relay. Fan switch closes, energises coil and pulls in relay contacts to supply fan motor, but when I switch the engine off the fan motor cuts out. I know there is a constant +12V being supplied to one side of the switch and one side of the relay so cant see why it is cutting off instantly, anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be super dooper.

Never compromise on a good earth!

nitram38

posted on 8/3/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is the supply through the relay to the fan perm postive?
russbost

posted on 8/3/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have a monster fan or an exceeedingly lightweight switch you don't need a relay, if you're correct that the switch & relay both have +ve 12v when ign turned off, I can only suggets that when turning off you're removing the earth path from the relay?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hearnia

posted on 8/3/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah both are permanent live.

This is what I dont understand, the fan switches off the instant the engine is turned off, I would expect some dead band where the temperature drops off and the fan switch takes time to open?!

hearnia

posted on 8/3/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
The negative connection is definately permanent also, I attached it straight to my earth bar... The mystery continues.

John Bonnett

posted on 8/3/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Please forgive me if this is obvious but using a multimeter can you check volts on the relay feeds when you turn off the ignition. If they are both live, then, as has been said perhaps the earth link is broken.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.