Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bikers, be carfull out there........
Jon Ison

posted on 11/3/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bikers, be carfull out there........

Just listening too local radio, the suns out, bikes are out, 2 fatals locally over the weekend.
look after yourselves, don't want too read on here what a good guy he was.

Same goes for kit drivers too, I came very close 2 years back, during the incident I had time too think "game over" and think about those I thought I was leaving behind.

Enjoy but stay safe.

fesycresy

posted on 11/3/07 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn't agree more. Sunday is a bad day.

Like you, it's not my ability I'm worried about, it's the other morons, however at full chat, how quick do the car drivers reactions need to be ??

I wonder what are the statistics these days of accidents of experienced riders vs born agains ??

Anyone know ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Catpuss

posted on 11/3/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Two things stop me going out on a week-end no matter how sunny it is and if it is sunny thats even more reason NOT to go out:

Sun = cops out
Sun/Weekend = more di*khead on the road than usual

So I personally do my bike playtime anytime during the week on back counrty roads when the traffic boys i know almost for a fact are otherwise engaged and less weekend gawping drivers are out too.....

doing that has kept me alive and lucky to say i have NEVER fallen off a big bike due to my own ability, and only ever knocked off due to other idiots twice.

[Edited on 11/3/07 by CaLviNx]

For me its 6am on Sunday mornings. Too early for the dick heads and quite a few riders out avoiding the dick heads, just having a nice ride.

MK_Bob

posted on 11/3/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
On my way home yesterday i had a biker come up behind me on a country road. I kept to the left of the lane to give him the best view and left a gap between me and the vectra in front for him to slot into. He stuck to the right of the lane ready to overtake, eventually a clear straight came up and biker overtook me, and as the road was still clear he went on to overtake the other two cars ahead of me. Of course, this is when the vectra in front decides to overtake another car, right in front of the biker. Sudden braking ensues, vectra idiot gets back in his lane, biker carries on, probably a little shaken up.

How people can be so mindless and unaware i don't know, if the vectra driver had glanced in his mirror just once in the time the biker was ready to overtake me (at least a minute) he would have known the biker was coming.

jambojeef

posted on 11/3/07 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Its a different world in a car though isnt it.
Its been said lots of times before but a modern saloon gives you hardly any sensation of speed or your surroundings.

Have to say, I used to commute to work on my CBR6 past the Metro Centre every morning and at 8am it was amazing how many people hadnt demisted their windscreens properly or even indicated before nipping into tiny spaces to gain a car length.

Terrifying stuff when I think about it now...

Hasnt stopped a guy on a ducati going past the house again and again today though! He must have been past a dozen times or more just riding the same road!

Sounded like he was getting a little bit faster at the end though - I should have stood at the end of the drive with a pit board

MikeR

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
serious question - is it legal to overtake multiple vehicles at once?

I'm just thinking the vectra driver could have checked his rear view many times and saw the same car in it, looked again - cars still there, off i go and ......

whoooooooooah, bloody hell where did that bike come from?

I've got a bad habit of always looking over my shoulder, even when i watch a car over take me through the mirrors and go past i instinctively look. Just don't feel safe not doing it - I added that before someone has a go at me for my driving after asking this question.

flak monkey

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes its perfectly legal to overtake multiple vehicles at a time as long as your path is clear. Or that was what I was told on my advanced driving course a few years back...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few occasions today, coming back from the East Anglian get-together... most people getting along at a reasonable pace, except for one rover driver in one place, and one plastic pig (Reliant Robin) in another. Ended up having to blast past 2 or 3 cars, 'cos everyone else seemed happy to stay behind a car doing 30mph in a 60 zone, and slowing down for corners - every corner, to be precise.

Oh yes - both drivers appeared to be around 110 years of age...

It's fairly hard to ignore my car though... bright yellow / shiny ali, rather noisy when revved!

David

Catpuss

posted on 11/3/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx

Nothing better an excuse, to put a size 10 in a vectra's door......... and rip his mirror off at the same time, all the dozy drivers own fault for not using his mirrors then

Ah the old UKRM trick, collect the door mirror then post it back to them through their side window as they wind it down to give you grief.

Thats what carbon/kevlar/aluminium weave knuckles are for on gloves you know

andyps

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
serious question - is it legal to overtake multiple vehicles at once?

The way lots of cars are driven, close behind another one but never trying to overtake, it can sometimes be the only possibility of making progress.

quote:
I'm just thinking the vectra driver could have checked his rear view many times and saw the same car in it, looked again - cars still there, off i go and ......

whoooooooooah, bloody hell where did that bike come from?

Perfectly possible unfortunately, event though the bike may not have madea every effort to not be in the blind spot of the first car it passed, it may not have been visible to those further forward. It would still be the Vectra which was wrong though as before pulling out to overtake you should check mirrors fully. I know I have often had cars pull out whilst I have been overtaking, and that is on my car (I don't have a bike).

quote:
I've got a bad habit of always looking over my shoulder, even when i watch a car over take me through the mirrors and go past i instinctively look. Just don't feel safe not doing it - I added that before someone has a go at me for my driving after asking this question.

Definitely a good habit - most cars (all cars?) have a blind spot when looking in mirrors and this helps overcome that problem.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote

you don't dress like this also do you? Rescued attachment policebike.jpg
Rescued attachment policebike.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.