Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Balance bar setup
bodger

posted on 14/3/07 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Balance bar setup

It seems that not many people are using balance bar setups for braking but are using a proportioning valve instead. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Is there much difference between the two setups, obviously plumbing in a valve is a lot quicker but cost-wise there doesn't seem to be much in it. ProComp what's your opinion ?
Mr Whippy

posted on 14/3/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a balance bar, don't like it much and wish I'd fitted an valve instead. Alot easier to fit and adjust a simple valve.

on the other 7 I am going to fit a valve on the tunnel just behind the gearlever since the brake pipes are fed down there

[Edited on 14/3/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 14/3/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
ive got mine set up with a balance bar, but once set its left alone! in board adjustment may be better for track day use for varing conditions but a bit ott for every day driving on the road, also believe there is problems with passing SVA test with accessable adjustability. there info on Rally design web for adjusting and setting balance bars
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/balancebar.php

JAG

posted on 14/3/07 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
No real need for a balance bar or bias valve. If you select your brakes carefully you can get away without and still have superb braking under all conditions.

I have a standard tandem m'cyl' 20.64mm diameter with M16 (54mm piston) front calipers and 8" diameter rear drumbrakes fitted with 22.2mm diameter wheel cylinders. No valve and no balance bar.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

AdamR

posted on 14/3/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know there was an easy alternative to a balance bar.... Where can I get an adjustable proportioning valve from?

Cheers,
A

bodger

posted on 14/3/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Try here.
rally design

posted on 15/3/07 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Balance Bar v Prop valve

You cannot use a prop valve in place of a balance bar setup.The prop valve can only be used to degrade the brakes in either the front or rear brake line to reduce the power in either line.Whereas the balance bar system can change the bias between front and rear...once correct master cylinder selection gets it about right.In practice most race cars have both balance bar and prop valves,where the balance bar is used to fine tune the balance and the prop valve used where a drastic reduction is required(on the rear of a rally car to change from tarmac to forest stages)...hope this helps...rally design.
rally design

posted on 15/3/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry,bit late in the day...my last post should have read....'where a drastic reduction is required,on the rear of a rally car when changing from forest to tarmac stage.'...rally design
britishtrident

posted on 15/3/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
To put it another way balance bars only work really well if the pivot is roughly centralised to start with. To do this you have to either juggle the master cylinder or wheel cylinder sizes.
In club circuit racing the difference in balance bar setting between the wet and dry setting is usually little as a single turn, two at most.

Proportioning or pressure cut off valves can only be used in the rear circuit, the implication is that to make use of a valve you must start out at least slightly over braked on the rear axle.

[Edited on 15/3/07 by britishtrident]

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 16/3/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Do a Search For brake balance.......

Brake Balance

The advantage of the balance bar is you can fine tune the balance very easily. Once mine is set I never adjust. But.......

However ideally you need a balance bar AND a brake proportioning valve.

Brake balance will be only at the optimum in one set of grip conditions. In the dry when you can brake very hard you need LESS rear brake as you have more weight transfer. In the wet or on ice you can run nearly 50 : 50 balance. So an adjustable balance bar will let you easily adjust the balance for different conditions.

But (again) if the surface is wet and then dry you will not be able to adjust the balance bar fast enough. This is where you need a proportioning valve (AP sell them). This limits pressure depending on the pressure applied. So at low pedal pressures (ice) it does not limit pressure to the rear, but at high pressures (heavy braking ) it will restrict pressure to the rear.

With one of these valves you calculate your sizes to give 50: 50 balance.

John

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=59113

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43744

designer

posted on 16/3/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Balance bars are overkill on anything other than a race car.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
A proportioning valve is different from a limmiting valve.

A limmiting valve shuts off any increase in line pressure to the rear brakes over a given pressure -- as used on early single circuit BMC Minis.

A proportioning valve passes a fixed proportion of the line pressure to the rear brakes. Many proportioning valves are dual rate.

[Edited on 18/3/07 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.