Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hayabusa Air Pressure Sensors
GeoffCamps

posted on 17/3/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa Air Pressure Sensors

Hi.

Can someone tell which of the air pressure sensors go where on the hayabusa engine?

Their are two sensors, atmospheric and intake.
Which is which?

And where should the intake sensor be placed? So it measures the pressure in the airbox or connected to one of the small pipes measuring the air in the intake manifold (after the butterfly valves)?

Can you also recommend someone for tuning the engine for SVA?

Thanks in advance!

Geoff.

richard thomas

posted on 17/3/07 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
So far as I remember.....

The atmospheric sensor can be put anywhere, mine's just mounted in the engine bay. The intake pressure sensor is connected via the small pipes that run between the throttle bodies (take off the end throttle body). This sensor is the one that has two take off points, one to measure intake pressure and the other to control the intake flap in the original airbox. There is a small one-way valve in that system also.

For sva, i used a westfield box that incorporates a cat, and set the fuel pressure to 43psi....had to mess around with the fuel pressure a lot to get it through though - was either in at idle or at revs, hard to get both together. also left the PAIRS valve fitted. I believe you can use a power commander but i got away with it....

[Edited on 17/3/07 by richard thomas]

GeoffCamps

posted on 17/3/07 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
i thought that unit with an inlet and an outlet was only a solenoid valve to control the airbox flap - and was no longer requiered. I didn't realise it was a sensor as well. 0

Better start digging through the scrap pile to see if i can find it!

Thanks!

richard thomas

posted on 17/3/07 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Wait a min - you might be right....let me go and have a look.

richard thomas

posted on 17/3/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, you are correct. The one with two take off's is to operate the flap in the airbox. The atmospheric sensor is the one with two bolt holes and is made by 'denso' on mine. The manifold pressure sensor has one bolt hole, and is fed from a pipe that attaches via a t-piece in the rubber pipes between the two centre throttle bodies.

Sorry for the unnecessary worry there....

G.Man

posted on 17/3/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
he will be back in 2 hours... well found it at last.. oh wait... you git.. so I didnt need it

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

richard thomas

posted on 17/3/07 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I know, feel a bit guilty.....

Still, nobody said it would be easy...

bike_power

posted on 17/3/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to feed all four tb's to the fuel pressure regulator or it'll run too rich at idle/low speed.
GeoffCamps

posted on 17/3/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
When i connect the intake air pressure sensor to the tubes it runs really rough. as soon as i disconnect it its a lot better... but still rough.
bike_power

posted on 17/3/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffCamps
When i connect the intake air pressure sensor to the tubes it runs really rough. as soon as i disconnect it its a lot better... but still rough.

The IAPS (intake air pressure sensor) or MAP sensor should be connected to all 4 tb's on the same line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

Have you got the fuel pressure set to 43psi ? To get it running well without the airbox you might need 45 or more psi and to get through SVA it will need to be lower, 30 something, can't remember exactly what now.

Make sure you've blocked off all the unused vacuum connections.

You may also need to balance the throttle bodies, if they are not balanced then it will run a bit lumpy at idle - doesn't really affect wide open throttle though.

You also need to adjust the throttle pot so that in diagnostic/dealer mode, the line on the LCD in the clocks is in the middle. This has a very big effect on how it runs and it probably your 2nd thing to check after the MAP sensor feed.

If the plugs are sooty then replace them, busa really hates dirty or wet plugs and despite the fact you'd get away with them in a car engine they won't work properly in a busa.

Make sure your fuel isn't old either - that will cause you a problem.

If you haven't got a manual then pm me your address and I'll post you a copy of the Suzuki manual on CD, you'll probably need it.

GeoffCamps

posted on 17/3/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is only connected to the small pipe for one throttle body instead of all four. I will try that tomorrow.

I tried to set the idle throttle position in dealer mode but it just stalls... but that is probably because of the MAP sensor connections being wrong. I will fix the MAP sensor then try an set the idle position again.

Thanks for the advice! I will let you know how i get on.

bike_power

posted on 18/3/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, forgot to mention that when adjusting the fuel pressure, remove the vacuum pipe.
GeoffCamps

posted on 18/3/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I fixed the MAP sensor connectivity and it made a massive difference. Still a bit rough with an occasional pop but i think that is due to my spark plugs. New set ordered.

Thanks for your help!

bike_power

posted on 18/3/07 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Glad it worked !

How did you set the fuel presure ? The odd pop could still be down to that being too high and the plugs fowling, or even too low fuel pressure although it would be difficult to start with too little too. Do the plugs look sooty after it's been running for a while ?

If you want a copy of the manual just let me know.

G.Man

posted on 19/3/07 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Can I ask what fuel pump you are running? and is it connected to the ecu?

We had awful problems with the ZX12R until we ran the fuel pump from the ECU... seems obvious, but a power source is apower source right? (ps. not my engine)

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.