Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wot dif?
jlparsons

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
wot dif?

Hi all,
as I've come over all bec in my old age i was wondering if anyone has played about with different difs for BECs other than the good old sierra. I've heard quaife do a dif with a build in reverse(do they?), and i was thinking there are quite a few more modern sports cars whose LSD we could pinch. Maybe rx7/8, S2000 etc. Any experiences?

Also while i'm here, was wondering if anyone has driven both busa/zx14 and r1/blade engined cars. How large a performance gap is there between the fast litre engines and the bigger busa-type engines? They appear to be several times the price of an r1/blade unit, wondering if it's worth it.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

worX

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think the obvious first step away from the Sierra Diff (apart from an expensive Quaife item) would be the Freelander Diff.

hth
Steve.

Hellfire

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
The reason most people use the Sierra diff, is because it's cheap and has a good variety of ratios for BEC's as well as LSD in a 3.62 ratio which is quite a popular choice. Other diffs, which may be more suitable, are available but will probably cost quite a few ££ more.

We have built both a ZX12R engined Indy and a Blade engined Indy and whilst the difference in performance between the two isn't huge, there is quite a noticeable difference. The ZX12R has the low down grunt that the smaller engines lack and pulls strongly and smoothly all the way upto 12,500 rpm. The ZX12R engine gives similar performance to the Busa for much less ££ and can be had for similar money to the newer R1's.

Phil

jlparsons

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know, thanks folks! Still like good old cubes - busa/zx14 seem a bit pricey but zx12 sounds good. Are there many of them about?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

G.Man

posted on 19/3/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
plenty, speak to malc at yorkshire engines...

slight advanatge of the zx12r over the busa is you can use a 3.65 diff, wheras with the busa you really wanna 3.38 diff...

3.38 lsd's are like hens teeth..

Advantage of the busa over the zx12r is it is a stronger motor...

(get that in before bike_power shows up )

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

jlparsons

posted on 20/3/07 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
so anyone used a zx14r? is this top dog at the moment?

TimC

posted on 20/3/07 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Have heard of an Impreza rear diff being used as well. Raw mentioned to me that they now have the option of a Jap-sourced diff but he didn't give much away.

Whatever you go for (outside of the norm) expect to need custom driveshafts.

G.Man

posted on 20/3/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Mazda MX5 diff probably

coozer

posted on 20/3/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
MNR have a ZX14r on the flor waiting to go into one of their chassis.

Must say it looked really sexy sitting on the floor...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bob C

posted on 20/3/07 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
mx5 diff is 4.3:1 8^(
G.Man

posted on 20/3/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
mx5 diff is 4.3:1 8^(

Not much good then but you can get a lower ratio kit, 3.45 i think..

RX7's have a 3.63 LSD

BMW 3 series 3.45

http://www.difflap.com.au/ratios/a-c.htm

List of lots of potential donors there and diff ratios

jlparsons

posted on 20/3/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting stuff. So Rx-7 looks about the right ratio and iirc it's an LSD dif? Also iirc the uprights and hubs were ally and it's been used succesfully as a donor. So you could use the whole diff-axle package and probably save a fair bt of weight, plus there are a few seized engined rx-7s about. Perhaps a good option?

Anyone looked into dif weights while we're here? The ford was a pretty agricultural looking unit last I looked, when i was about 15 of course so a while back!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.