Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: identifying a cam?
02GF74

posted on 27/3/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
identifying a cam?

I am curious as to what cam I have in my 1300 crossflow - if I took the rocker cover off and using a dial guage measuredthe lift, that would go so way to identifying whether it is standard or not?

I have twin 40s and can set the idel to be as low as 600-800 whcih is relatively smooth - am I right in thinking something like a BCF2 or 3 need to have much higher idel speedS?

(only other way would be to reomve the timing cover and look for any ID stamped on it - not so conveneint),

Kissy

posted on 27/3/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Add a degree wheel to your crank and then measure the number of degrees the inlet and outlet lobes lift the rocker for (start of lift to end of lift) and you've got the duration. This should be enough combined with the max lift measurement to ident the cam (take into account a bit of wear if there is any evident - shorter duration, reduced lift). If it's a cam made from a blank it may have some rings or dots cast in it as i.d. HTH.
Kissy

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
...sorry, didn't read your last sentence.
mark chandler

posted on 27/3/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dial gauge on the rockers will tell you all you need.

Two turns engine is 1 turn cam, so using the gauge determine the centre of the lobe, 10 thou each side of lift, centre then mark the front pully. Wind the engine over until the cam stops moving the rocker properly (you have an opening and closing ramp, which means that the cam lowers the valve but does not slam it into the seat) so you are looking for it to stop dropping significantly, mark the pulley then using a bit of maths calculate the duration in degrees.

Other thing is just measure the lift, see if its what you expect on the pushrod end.

Look for things such as double or tripple valve springs, this may indicate fiddling.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.