Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Switching to Princess 4-pots
verdoandjean

posted on 27/3/07 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Switching to Princess 4-pots

Appreciate the collective help of this brill website. Presently upgrading my existing front brake system from Spitfire/GT6 to incorporate Austin Princess 4-Pots BUT does anybody have a diagram/picture of the conversion parts needed to go from the single feed system of the old set-up to the dual feed for the new one?? Using flexis, but don't want to resort to "T" Piece due to space at back of wheel and possible fouling
Thanks in advance

britishtrident

posted on 27/3/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
What type of brakes are you converting from as Spitfire front brakes are completely different from GT6 front brakes, so much so that to fit GT6 brakes to a Spitfire involves changing major front suspension components.

Unless you car is very heavy at the front fitting Princess calipers will only result in premature wheel locking which will reduce your braking performance. Even GT6 calipers (same bore size as Cortina Mk3+) are on the big side.
Princess calipers ain't worth the pain.

[Edited on 27/3/07 by britishtrident]

robinj66

posted on 27/3/07 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I converted from Cortina to Princess calipers on my Cobra. I found that the Cortina master cylinder reqired too much travel when I tried to use twin flexi's. i ended up reverting to single flexi as per the Cortina and using a T piece to split the solid pipe at the caliper.
verdoandjean

posted on 27/3/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
4-pot conversion

Thanks Guys. The conversion has been carried out many times by others, without wheel locking occurring. Have changed caliper mounting to suit new calipers, this is the only requirement on what are GT6 brakes (not Spitfire, my mistake) Have upgraded Master Cylinder to larger capacity as well.
On the T Piece arrangement, my problems are 1) T Piece means that flexi tube has to curve out to such an extent that it could foul the rear of the wheel, and 2) I cannot figure out where the additional in-pipe needs to be connected; the only one's I have seen don't seem to feed one side of the pistons.... Rescued attachment princess_conversion_linkages.jpg
Rescued attachment princess_conversion_linkages.jpg

MikeRJ

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
The conversion in that pic looks like the tube on the caliper connects to what used to be a bleed nipple, i.e. fluid enters one pair of cylinders, pushed out through bleed nipple and into second pair of cylinders where the original bleep nipple remains.
verdoandjean

posted on 29/3/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
4 Pot connections

Sure Mike, just what I thought...... but will it work that way???
That's what I need to know.
Thanks

MikeRJ

posted on 30/3/07 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
It will certainly work provided you don't have any problems bleeding the caliper and the crossover tube dosen't foul your wheel rim etc.
verdoandjean

posted on 5/4/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks MikeRJ

I notice you are building a crossflow powered Stryker?? I also have a crossflow powered Marcos. What engine mods are you undertaking??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.