Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: House hunting
albertz

posted on 30/3/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
House hunting

Quick question:

If you were looking to buy a new house where would you look other than estate agents? First thoughts appreciated.

I am selling my house in North Scotland and have advertised on a few of the bigger DIY property sites, without massive success. Thought i would throw up the question to try and gauge the opinion.

By the way this is a link to my own website selling the house, just in case any of you fancy a lifestyle change. Brilliant quiet roads up here for Locosting...

http://www.propertycaithness.co.uk/

Cheers
Andrew

Guinness

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew

Can't help with the sale, but got to say that is a beautiful house in a stunning location! And your website looks really professional!

Good luck with the sale,

Mike

ricklawn

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic house Andrew

If only i could get wife and kids to move that far north. My idea of total bliss.

where are you thinking of moving to?
it must be somewhere special to top whereyou are now.
Richard

BenB

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! What a view!!!!!! That's beautiful!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Some from my Favourites list I used when we moved.....

http://www.findaproperty.com/

http://www.fish4.co.uk/homes/

http://www.propertyfinder.com/

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

UncleFista

posted on 30/3/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Albertz, nice house in a stunning location. An added benefit is being able to call almost eveyone a "southerner"

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

COREdevelopments

posted on 30/3/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
why would you want to move from such a beautifull house with a stunning view like that? anyway good luck with the sale.

RK

posted on 30/3/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Probably because it looks like a million miles from nowhere! How much did it cost to get the sun to come out for the pics?

Hey, nice site. An agent is there to publicise your place, and deal with some of the nonsense you need to go through; it costs, but the question is: "Do you really want to sell?".

Confused but excited.

posted on 30/3/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
All that for £230K?
Why in God's name move?
That is absolutely stunning mate! Even without the views.
Down here that £230K would get you a pokey two and a half/three bed bungalow, with a built on/under single garage and enough land to walk around it to clean your windows.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

albertz

posted on 31/3/07 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the compliments, but i wasn't fishing for them honestly!

I built this house myself about 4-5 years ago and have just decided to do it all over again about 1/4 mile away. By doing the work myself i hope to make a healthy profit. In an ideal world i would keep this house and build the new house to sell, but if i do that i get hammered with capital gains tax, whereas if i move to the new house i do not get taxed at all - strange, but true. The only other option is to try and keep both houses afloat until i can establish residency in the new one long enough to make it a tax free sale. Unfortunately the 2 mortgages would over stretch my finances, hence my reason for selling Shoreside.

Regarding my original question, thanks Chris for the links, thats the sort of thing i was after. To be honest i have tried most of these along with Houseladder, homesonsale etc etc. but thats what i was getting at with the question.

It was really just a long shot to see if anyone knew of any fantastic free place that would sell the house no bother. Or an even longer shot to see if anyone on here fancied the house....

The house is in Caithness, which you can see is as far north as its possible to go without getting your feet wet. However with this comes a real natural beauty and a way of life that can only be described as tranquil...the houses looks directly out over the beach and bay. On the downside the winds are horrendous during the winter months (although our neighbours survived all winter in a caravan!) and as someone has mentioned, it is quite remote. But in these days of electronic communication and reasonably sophisticated transport links how important is that compared to the benefits of living a relaxed peaceful way of life??

Any other suggestions or experiences welcome.

Thanks
Andrew

Hellfire

posted on 31/3/07 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Having seen that house I can agree with many that it is indeed stunning.

The only problem I can see, is it's total remoteness!

This alone puts me off... cracking house, location and stuff but the very northern tip of Scotland; as beautiful as it is; is just to North for me.

You need some very unique selling points (words) to grab a spot with a google search. Put these words within the website and one day it will come... good luck with the sale m8.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.