Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dual booting
davy

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
dual booting

I have vista home premium on my drive. Also loaded is the usual stuff including this forum. I have two programes that I need to use and require the use od XP. How do I set up dual booting with vista and xp, or can it not be done. Any advice welcome . Davy
chockymonster

posted on 1/4/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with dual booting,
download a copy of vmware server from http://www.vmware.com/download/server
It's a free piece of software that allows you to run a virtual machine inside your operating system.

That way you don't have to lose a set amount of space to your dual boot, only what it actually needs, it also means you can use the XP pc at the same time as the vista one!

I use it all the time for development work, I have 8 VM pc's running on Vista, vista, winxp, win2k and a few linux boxes.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bilbo

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Don't bother with dual booting,
download a copy of vmware server from http://www.vmware.com/download/server
It's a free piece of software that allows you to run a virtual machine inside your operating system.

That way you don't have to lose a set amount of space to your dual boot, only what it actually needs, it also means you can use the XP pc at the same time as the vista one!

I use it all the time for development work, I have 8 VM pc's running on Vista, vista, winxp, win2k and a few linux boxes.

Yep, I'll second VMware. Also use it at work a lot. Great bit of kit.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

RazMan

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
You can often get around any incompatability issues by running the prog in XP compatability mode. This has worked for me on just about all of my 'iffy' progs What are you having problems with?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
BootMagic

I've seen BootMagic working seems pretty good ,you can install a new drive and keep your old drive and choose to boot of either , old and new compo in one box!! , It' comes with the full version of Partition Magic 8.0 and can allegedly be found on the web for download.
ecosse

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Vista and xp will dual boot quite happily, just install the second OS to a different drive/partition/folder and it does the rest for you.
Although VMware or MS virtual pc are the smart way to do it if you have good enough hardware.

Cheers

Alex

davy

posted on 4/4/07 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
dual booting

downloaded the suggested software, it told me that microsoft intewrnet information IIS is not insatalled or not right for this machine, what does .this mean. If I get it up and running do I load xp , and where on the system. Never used this sort of program and have not a clue, any help appreciated. davy
violentblue

posted on 11/4/07 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
vista doesn't like dual booting from what I understand, but then again I only have windows on one PC out of the 5 in my house

a few pics of my other projects

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.