Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Morganesq front fenders mocked
Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 02:12 AM Reply With Quote
Morganesq front fenders mocked

Mocked up morgan style fronts, needs radiusing and a curved front. Fender should go all the way to the chassis untill it hits the top rail and I will try and change the slope on the inside from there to just cover the suspension with a notch out for the headlights. May have to narrow the running board by a few inches and give it the hourglass figure I like so much.
Dale

http://rides.webshots.com/album/96933615lXyang Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0007_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
and Rescued attachment DSCF0006_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0006_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 02:14 AM Reply With Quote
last Rescued attachment DSCF0010_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0010_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

Danozeman

posted on 2/4/07 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
That should look nice when its done.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Kissy

posted on 2/4/07 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Is that a large enough envelope around the front wheels to allow full articulation; i.e. full lock and full bounce without contact taking place. Just an observation - I'd hate to think the first to pick it up would be SVA
ditchlewis

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
looks good

ditch

Gaz 1977

posted on 2/4/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
cool

that is looking really good, if i get time over the next couple of days i might well have a play in photoshop

well done

designer

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent layout.

About time we started going away from the cheap looking 'trailer' type front wings.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
there you go, make some moulds and sell the panels.

I like where this cars heading, could turn out very classy

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looks nice, How about you fit a twin pane "v" shaped windscreen.

May end up looking very "Cruella Deville" style

Cheers

Fred W B

Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I really doubt that I have enough room at the opening for the front wheels just yet. I will have to experiment untill I find a safe minimum.

----Looks nice, How about you fit a twin pane "v" shaped windscreen.

May end up looking very "Cruella Deville" style ----

Full intentions of a split vee windshield all along.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
One thought I had but its rather vain or gimmicy. Was to put a pivot at the back of the running board and attaching the front of the fender to the suspension. This would add to unsprung weight ( which being a cruiser I am not terribly concerned with) even though in glass they wont weigh much. This would allow me very tight clearance at the front wheel but would lead to issues with running the exhast in the running board and making it flow into the shape of the side as well.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

MustangSix

posted on 2/4/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
A great start, but needs some refinement in the final shape, IMO. The shape you have reminds me of the Aero 8 - not exactly the prettiest Morgan in the eyes of most.

Classic Morgan wings have more sweep at the lower edges behind the wheel and don't wrap around the tire completely. That gives it more of a "flow", as if it were representing air streaming over the tire. The fronts also don't dive down as low as you have them.

In either version the edges need a lot more radius. Also, take another look at the running boards. On both cars they continue to taper all the way to the rear wing, and are not horizontal on the top surface. It's a subtle styling cue, but one that makes a marked difference.

I suppose it all depends on which shape you're shooting for, but I have a soft spot for the older cars and think that the more classic styling better fits the nature of the rest of the Locost theme.

As far as attaching the fender/running board to the wheel, I wouldn't. The suspension moves up and down a lot at a very high frequency as it absorbs and deflects every little surface imperfection. In very short order a glass fender that size will be developing cracks and fractures.

[Edited on 2/4/07 by MustangSix]

Guinness

posted on 2/4/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I like the running boards, but can I make one suggestion?

Put a supported bit of flat steel the width of the board beneath the glass around the cockpit. It would be heart breaking to see someone stand on them and go right through!

It still amazes me how many people struggle to get into my car. Seven owners know to grab the roll bar, step onto the seat and then slide down the back of the seat into a seated position. Non seven owners try to get their feet into the footwell first then worry about their body / arms.

It might be easier in the long run to make them a step, rather than have to tell everyone, every time, not to stand on them to get in.

Mike

Dale

posted on 2/4/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I did not think that the fenders atatched to the suspension would be a good idea - was more or less just mumbling out lout to myself. If I go with the swept fenders it will be a structural runningboard as suggested as it makes quite a step in over the side with them there.
I am actually going for the aero 8 style of fender as I like it a bit more- Cant say I like the cross eyed look they gave it but the newer ones have a better look.
Dale Rescued attachment 2060306_004_mini5L.jpg
Rescued attachment 2060306_004_mini5L.jpg

Thanks
Dale

Dale

posted on 3/4/07 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
I am at a loss for the moment-in trying to get the front visualized. I tried sloping it down but i could not get anything like I envisioned. I have it drawn in 2d but am failing at getting it mocked up. More tries later I guess. I did find out that I will need to ad at least one inch to the diameter of the inner fender.
Dale

http://rides.webshots.com/album/96933615lXyang Rescued attachment wide2_resize.JPG
Rescued attachment wide2_resize.JPG

Thanks
Dale

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/4/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
your following very similar lines to what I was wanting to do to my JBA Falcons wings as they are open MG TD style and generate loads of lift and drag. I much prefer the morgan 2+2 shape to mine.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.