Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Floor
orbital

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Floor

Lo all,

I've finally got round to getting my garage sorted and I want to paint the floor. Any advice on what paint to use?

I came across THIS whilst mooching on the web (seems to be about £70 for the kit) anyone used it? Don't know if I should go for the dearer 2pac stuff or just stick to something from Wickes?

Cheers

Dave

froggy

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
if your floor has a dpm then pva and garage floor paint will be fine .the proper stuff is epoxy based and costs a fortune but its unbeatable, i do my workshop once a year with cheap floor paint and it holds up pretty well for a commercial garage
omega0684

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
i just stuck a carpet down on my garage floor whilst im building my car, if you get any oil leaks it just gets soaked up, then when you finished your build you just throw the carpet away. i got a massive section of carpet from a forman who was gutting a shop in town, he gave me as much as i wanted for free.

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
mines a concrete floor.

first applied a couple of coats of sealer.
then two coats of "international" garage floor paint in terracotta colour.

ive knocked it of in a few places, but thats more because the floor isnt completetly smooth.

BenB

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I used concrete floor paint. Cheap as chips from Screwfix.. Does the job for me.. annual repaint though....
caber

posted on 12/4/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
International floor paint is good, avoid anything that says low odour it is crap and won't stay down very long. As usual preparation is everything. appliation is as thick as possible, you can tip the paint on the floor and push it around with a squeegee until the floor is covered then leave it at least 24 hours preferably with the door open.

Good Luck

Caber

worX

posted on 12/4/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I did my parents for them and after a search round for 15 mins or so on google I found what I wanted and for £32.30 I had the paint and everything else I needed (two roller heads, one hand held roller thingy, one roof extension [so you don't have to bend down] and sealer.

So I am sure that you could do it for much cheapness!

hth
Steve
ps - I don't know what paint it was that I used in their, but I worked on my Bro#s bike (sliding the wheel/tyre round whilst ON the painted surface) and it's still fine after a couple of years!

esn163

posted on 12/4/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
we used this stuff (cached since machine mart seem to be having a site revamp).

Needed a few coats to get a decent finish from bare concrete but did a good job in the end.

Ed

[Edited on 12/4/07 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SixedUp

posted on 12/4/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used concrete sealer, then two good thick coats of International Floor paint. Did my garage about 5 years ago, and its still going strong now.

I've also put down old carpet, as someone else mentioned. Makes the place much warmer in the winter, more comfortable while kneeling on the floor, and it even mops up any major spills.

Cheers
Richard

orbital

posted on 12/4/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys. Plenty to think of there

Cheers

Dave

Peteff

posted on 12/4/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter's bloke works at a paint factory and he gave me two 5ltr tins of cardinal red floor paint so I just slapped it on thick and left it to dry. The difference is amazing, practically no dust any more and I can see things when I drop them. It's polyurethane paint and takes a day to dry but it's a job worth doing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mainlandboy

posted on 13/4/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
This stuff is really nice and not as messy as painting the floor:

www.racedeck.com

Plus you can take it with you if you move. Not cheap though

stevebubs

posted on 13/4/07 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i just stuck a carpet down on my garage floor whilst im building my car, if you get any oil leaks it just gets soaked up, then when you finished your build you just throw the carpet away. i got a massive section of carpet from a forman who was gutting a shop in town, he gave me as much as i wanted for free.

Take the carpet up before you start welding, though!

Bluemoon

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have had good results with the screwfix PU floor paint. I would say though that it depends on what you expect, all I wanted to do was trap the dust, the paint also will not need to last more than a couple of years (before we move again!)...

Dan

orbital

posted on 13/4/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like it to last a while. Don't fancy the idea of dragging everything out my garage once a year to be honest. I might give this GaraFloor thing a go you know. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say!
coozer

posted on 13/4/07 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a raggy concrete floor with a pit covered with ancient bits of timber.

All I have is a nice chinese rug over the pit to stop bits falling into the pit when I drop them.

Personally I cant understand why people paint garage floors? Unless you've got a leaky motor I think its a waste of time

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

NS Dev

posted on 13/4/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
stops your engine build getting full of concrete dust!

painted mine 5 years ago when I built it and it needs redoing now, std dulux gliddens floor paint

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

rusty nuts

posted on 13/4/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I've got a raggy concrete floor with a pit covered with ancient bits of timber.

All I have is a nice chinese rug over the pit to stop bits falling into the pit when I drop them.

Personally I cant understand why people paint garage floors? Unless you've got a leaky motor I think its a waste of time

But once you have a garage with a painted floor you would see why people paint them, stops dust, easy to sweep ,oil etc is easy to wipe up . it's easier to see anything dropped and it looks so much better. I always use a soft broom (£5) to paint the floor with , quicker and easier than rollers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.