Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: too much oil
smart51

posted on 26/4/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
too much oil

What are the effects of putting too much oil into an engine? I've been checking my oil level with the engine running at idle where as I’ve found out the manual says let it idle for a few minutes and switch off then measure. I then put in an extra 1/4 litre. It seems I’ve been over filling, then overfilling a bit more.

A friend’s brother is an engineer at Triumph and reckons that over filling froths the oil. What affect might this have on my engine?

Guinness

posted on 26/4/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you overfill the engine, the crank splashes into the oil in the sump. This has two effects, drag on the crank, and causing the oil to froth up with bubbles. These bubbles will make the oil appear thinner, leading to lower oil pressure.

I think!

Mike

02GF74

posted on 26/4/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
... and if you fill it up further, you'll get the pistons smacking in to the oil, if the engine runs at all.
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
not a good idea and can cause damage, generally frowned upon

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 26/4/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I was having an argument with my father on this one. He is a long serving engineer with proper engineering qualifications and memberships and I'm the young upstart.

His theory was that crank oil seals are not designed to run in oil and that they should only see oil splash. He claimed oil would be blown past them if the engine was overfilled or the sump shortened and filled to the usual quantity... The debate rages on.

smart51

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
The oil levels I’ve had may have been enough for the crank webs to dip into but certainly not up to the crank centre line and nowhere near the pistons.

Would frothy oil float on the top in the sump or could the air bubbles be drawn in through the oil strainer at the bottom of the pan? The reason I ask is that my engine has recently suffered big end failure and I’ve found no apparent cause. If frothy oil = low oil pressure then it might go some way to explaining it.

andyharding

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I think you've answered your own question.

Too much oil = fcuked engine

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Hammerhead

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
windage

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd think there may be a danger that on corners that the throthed up oil (which when running will be alot more than when not) could get sucked up. Bubbles in the oil would be as bad at building up pressure as air in the brakes.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
windage

?

Peteff

posted on 26/4/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt you'll get windage in a bike sump, the oil feeds the gearbox as well and the crank is usually pretty high up in the casing. From the pictures you showed previously you only suffered one bearing picking up which was more likely due to the bikes previous history than anything you have done. Some bikes levels alter just by running while on the side stand due to the change in oil level when stood at an angle.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

trogdor

posted on 26/4/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
i have overfilled cars with oil before, my saabs v4, that i managed to put 11 litres of oil into (don't ask, but it was when i was just starting working on cars) and that still ran some how, though it didn't sound happy and oil was coming out of the relief value quite quickly!

the other time was recently with my micra that started throwing it out of the exhaust, it doesn't seem to have done any damage to either though admittally the cars were never driven over filled. I would imagine significant over filling would damage the engine and slight over filling would not cause too much of a prob, especially on cars that leak oil.

zetec7

posted on 26/4/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've always heard that overfilling with cause main seals to blow out at speed...leading to loss of oil...leading to no oil pressure at all...leading to

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/4/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
With the R1 you do need a slight overfill compared to that recommended for the bike.

General consensus seems to be to fill it to the top of the sight glass when the engine is actually idling. Thats certainly what I do and have had no issues at all.

Too much of an overfill will cause problems though, as well as some of the above, if the oil line is above the bottom of the clutch plates, they can struggle to squish the oil out when re-engaging, thus causing slip.

[Edited on 26/4/07 by ChrisGamlin]

smart51

posted on 26/4/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yamaha recommend filling to the middle of the sight glass on a level road when the engine has been idling for a few minutes and has then been stopped.

I filled to slightly over the top of the sight glass with the engine still idling on a slight slope (sight glass at the top of the slope), so not massively over full.

The only other thing I’ve done is drive round the “clover leaf” in Redditch at enough speed to make the brake fluid light come on due to surge rather than low level. The cloverleaf is a junction where 2 dual carriagways join. It has 4 sliproads that are 270° left handers. They are 140m in diameter so 0.2 miles long each. The speed limit is 70 MPH though I’m too much of a scaredy cat to try it. If there was brake fluid surge, then there would be oil surge as well. I have a baffle plate but I guess that only slows oil surge.

DIY Si

posted on 26/4/07 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
How steep is this slope? If the glass is at the upper end of the slope then you'll be over filling by way more than you realise, due to the glass showing less oil than is actually in the engine. Imagine tilting a half empty pint glass over, and watching the level at one edge. The more the tilt, the less the apparent level. But if you were to then top up to the old level, the galss would be much more than half full. Hope that makes sense

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

smart51

posted on 26/4/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
How steep is this slope?

Slight. 1 in 20 or 1 in 30 perhaps.

G.Man

posted on 26/4/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
if you overfil you aerate the oil..

result, blown bearnings as the air can be compressed and the crank meets the soft metal of the shells..

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.