Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Filter selection
Sporty

posted on 1/5/07 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Oil Filter selection

Might be an obvious question but I have a 1600 Xflow with a mocal remote oil filter. How do I select the correct filter to replace the existing or do I take it off and go to the motor factors for "one of these".

Obviously the diameter has to be correct but what else do I need to consider.

Any assistance appreciated.

Ian

02GF74

posted on 1/5/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
diameter of what has to be correct?

The remote oil filter head will most likley have 3/4 UNF thread - the bit you screw the filter on.

So that needs to match - go to halfords and open up the boxes - a lot of them have the thread stamped on the top of the filter.

Filters come in different heights and diameters so it is up to you if you want a long thin one or a short fat one - for the given thread, I have found the oil sealing ring to be in the same place regardless of size.

So you can use the orginal xflow filter -this is 3/4 UNF or if you want another size then:

Champion oil filters
====================
C105 95 mm dia; 130 long; Range Rover

Halfords oil filters
====================
HOF 206 75 mm dia; 110 long (Audi/Volkswagen)

HOF 249 95 mm dia; ? long (shorter version of C105)

In theory there should be only 4 or 5 filters but there is loads - the only thing I have found that differs is the position of the relief valve - a spring loaded mechanism you can see inside the threaded hole. I don't know how exactly this works nor why the position differs between filters - could be different thread oil housing thread?

I have use the original Ford, Audi and RR filter on a remote so those will work.

Sporty

posted on 1/5/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I was refering to the OD of the filter and the thread diameter. I wondered if anything else was critical, thanks for the info.
Bluemoon

posted on 1/5/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder about this two, as presumably the filter is sized acording to the expected loading of contaimates it is to collect. This will depend on the flow of oil, and engine size/use etc... If you get it wrong I guess the preasure release will might open disconecting the filter before you get around to changing the oil...

Dan

[Edited on 1/5/07 by Bluemoon]

ned

posted on 1/5/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
go to halfords and look through the old ford listings, they are all the same, just slightly different size in filter body. The smaller the filter body the moe frequently it should be changed.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 1/5/07 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I wonder about this two, as presumably the filter is sized acording to the expected loading of contaimates it is to collect. This will depend on the flow of oil, and engine size/use etc... If you get it wrong I guess the preasure release will might open disconecting the filter before you get around to changing the oil...

the relief valve comes into play when oil is no longer able to go thorugh the filter, so dirty oil bypassed the filter which is better than no oil at all.

I think this is really for those people who replace the filter every 50,000 miles.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.