Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed camera q
turbodisplay

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Speed camera q

What speed (IN A 30) do the police give an NIP: when they use a laser gun with about 4 policeman waiting.
I guess the fact i didn`t get pulled over means i wasn`t going fast enough.
Gone past 2 traps this week, both less than 35 - 40 using good judgement, ie slowing to 25 when passing parked cars, foot covering brake ,then a bit faster when clear.

Second time I came to a complete halt as I wasn`t sure of my speed, i`d just pulled out of a juntion, so foot was down to match traffic flow.

I`m starting to feel like a robot looking at my speedo when in 30 zones rather than using a good judgement.

Why is it that idiots do 50 past parked cars, in a 30, seem to never get prosecuted when everyone else gets done for 36 at 1 in the morning.

RANT over!

darren

[Edited on 1/5/07 by turbodisplay]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benji106

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I believe its 36 (speed limit + 10% + 2mph being the tolerance)

-Everything in excess-

shortie

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind also your speedo will read more than you are doing, sometimes they are quite a bit out as I found out when I use my Satnav in my Daewoo!!

Just have to wait and see, I've had two tickets both for doing 38 in a 40

I agree that it seems to be the idiots that get away with it, probably no tax, no insurance and a false address so won't get caught anyway!!

Rich.

graememk

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
i'm like a radar detector, only thing is i dont see them at the tine but they find me in the post a few weeks later, at least i know where many of the sites are now lol

Aboardman

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortie
Bear in mind also your speedo will read more than you are doing, sometimes they are quite a bit out as I found out when I use my Satnav in my Daewoo!!

Just have to wait and see, I've had two tickets both for doing 38 in a 40

I agree that it seems to be the idiots that get away with it, probably no tax, no insurance and a false address so won't get caught anyway!!

Rich.

wow unlucky are you to get a speeding ticket for 2 miles under the speed limit.

turbodisplay

posted on 1/5/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Am I right that because there was 4 policemen, they would most likely be pulling people over?

The second time the road bends just before I saw them, If i remeber correctly you need to have a straight line of sight to avoid slip errors (Nick freeman teritory), also it was a WPC using the gun meaning that it would be harder for her to keep the gun steady at distance (think they weigh 4KG+). I find it hard holding a air rifle steady, and i`m not exactly weak!

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 1/5/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
the Female police officer might well have stronger wrists
having said that most of them are w*****s aren't they?

ps I have them in the family so I am mostly joking... (mostly!)

scoop

posted on 1/5/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes 36 and yes you would have been pulled at the time under the circumstances you have described.
Whats the reg of your car Worx?

chrisg

posted on 1/5/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
Am I right that because there was 4 policemen, they would most likely be pulling people over?

The second time the road bends just before I saw them, If i remeber correctly you need to have a straight line of sight to avoid slip errors (Nick freeman teritory), also it was a WPC using the gun meaning that it would be harder for her to keep the gun steady at distance (think they weigh 4KG+). I find it hard holding a air rifle steady, and i`m not exactly weak!

Darren

What's she doing out when the dishes are piling up at home?

Women - Know your limits!

cheers

Sid the Sexist

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

DIY Si

posted on 1/5/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
You sure they weren't checking tax and so on? The only ones I've seen with a camera car/van have had a few police bikers down the road, and a tiny neon sign (impossible to read until alongside) saying tax checking or the likes on it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

turbodisplay

posted on 1/5/07 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
No, it was def laser, hand operated.

Darren

Catpuss

posted on 1/5/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard on mobile traps doing people for 32 mph, one case around Bedfordshire where a a woman got two nips for 32 and 33 on the school run and return journey.

Normally a fixed camera is 10%+2mph though new cameras in 30 zone are generally set for around 45mph for the first few weeks (from a police interview on TV once) as they run out of film too quickly and they want to get the worst offenders initially.

I have heard that the M25 cameras are 10% +2 when there is a limit imposed but when its back to NSL its 100mph.

Add that, as mentioned, your speedo is generally overreads by about 5% (because it must overread by between 0% and 10% and never underread).

Confused but excited.

posted on 1/5/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
The usual 10%+2 does not apply in a 30mph zone. I seem to recall that up to 33 is at the officers discretion and above 33, you're nicked my lad.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Daimo_45

posted on 1/5/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Did they have a sign out with 'Speed testing in progress' or a camera sign? Pretty sure they have to alert the public before speed testing don't they?
turbodisplay

posted on 1/5/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
No sign, one operating the laser, the rest hiding behind out of sight of the operator.

Same with the first trap.

Re: M25 cameras, they are always on? Thought they only operate when the limits are in operation. Went pass them during the weekend, not that quick though.

Darren

martyn_16v

posted on 2/5/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
The M25 cameras rarely work at all, there's generally only a couple working around the southwest stretch at any one time. I don't think they can vary the 'trap speed' with the variable speed limit either, as far as I know they're set at a wee bit over 80 all the time. Not that you can actually go that fast very often...
benji106

posted on 2/5/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I got a ticket for doing 56 on the M4 when the limit was set to 40, bit of a joke considering I was on the Inside lane just keeping up with the flow of traffic

-Everything in excess-

Daimo_45

posted on 2/5/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly all the gantries on the M25 have cams on but I'm pretty sure they are only activated when the speed restrictions signs are on. I've blitzed through at 80+ many times and nothing has happened but I always slow down if the signs are lit.
turbodisplay

posted on 2/5/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I got a ticket for doing 56 on the M4 when the limit was set to 40, bit of a joke considering I was on the Inside lane just keeping up with the flow of traffic

What was the outside lane doing?

I love mobile traps, I usually see them JUST before range, panic brake, and smoke up all the lanes. One day someone following TOO CLOSE will hit me. Oh well at least I have a clean license.

Road safety my ar5e!

Avoneer

posted on 2/5/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Generally it is 10% +3 before prosecution, unless the Police are operating a zero tolerance policy.

In 8 years working at Court, I have yet to see a summons for anyone doing under 35 mph.

Seen plenty for 36 though.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.