Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DG8 Gear Indicator Problems - NO LONGER
Hellfire

posted on 3/5/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
DG8 Gear Indicator Problems - NO LONGER

Having recently bought an Acumen DG8 Gear Indicator, together with the plug n play loom, we installed it last night. Having read the instructions fully, we set the engine running and went through the sequence to enable it to pick up the signals for each gear.

Selected first gear and held revs between 2,000 and 4,000rpm as stated but the 1 never started flashing (as the instructions suggest it should) and after about a minute the bottom section revolves which suggests the DG8 isn't seeing the speedo and tacho signals for some reason.

The plug n play loom is fitted in the only place it can be, which means it's fitted after the speedohealer and plugs into the back of the clocks. Could this be causing the problem? Would hard wiring the DG8 into the loom before the speedohealer possibly cure it?

Another thing we can't understand is how you can actually program the gear indicator on the ZX12R. After the DG8 has been taught first gear, neutral must be selected. From neutral, second gear should then be selected but the ZX12R won't go into second gear from neutral. It will only go into second gear from first.

Heeelp

Phil

[Edited on 12-7-07 by Hellfire]

Grahame L

posted on 3/5/07 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil, I will be watching your replies as i fitted mine some time ago and have experienced the same since, although sometimes it does seem to work then just reverts back to its normal confused state!! Good luck!
chockymonster

posted on 3/5/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem with mine, it was because some idiot hadn't told it how many gears it had to learn even though I thought I had!

Once I'd done that it learnt perfectly.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mike smith1

posted on 3/5/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
After a quick browse on the Speedohealer website i found this:-

23. I have an Acumen Gear Indicator (plug-in version) installed. Can it be used together with your product?

Yes, the SpeedoHealer can be used together with any aftermarket products. We recommend to connect the gear indicator right after the speed sensor and before the SH, so you won't have to reprogram it.

If you have any problems i would email speedohealer if you think that is the problem as the guy there (Norbert) is very helpful.

Mike

esn163

posted on 3/5/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

we fitted ours after the speedohealer due the fact that this seemed the easiest place to fit it. It still works fine but you just have to remember to recalibrate the DG8 after recalibrating the speedo.

We do however have the universal loom so as chris says you could be connecting to the wrong thing if the zx12 wiring depends on the year.

I think to get into second you should still be OK going through first quickly, just don't bring the revs up until your in second (provided your doing it with the back wheels off of the ground...) or that might confuse it.

Ed

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Moorron

posted on 3/5/07 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I think there are some old threads on here about problems with this bit of kit. I know as I couldn’t get mine to even program the first gears (like you).

Although I was using the output of the proxi switch reading the signals from magnets stuck to the prop that the Speedo was using it wouldn’t read it (the Speedo was working ok ish so the switch was working). The only explanation I could come up with was the digi 8 was getting too many or not enough pulses. So I moved it to the driveshaft flange which did make it program 1st and 2nd straight away, but wouldn’t do the rest. I gave up driving round and round and rang acumen to see if they could help. The guy said he thought it would b the rev signal and not the Speedo one and he was very willing to explain it all to me, but I was convinced it’s the Speedo side of things.

I ordered the optional reed switch to try out and after fitting it to read the same magnets that the Speedo one uses it programmed in seconds, however all is not rosy! It reads 1st and 2nd gears fine, but for 3rd and 4th it thinks they are both 4th gear and the same with 5th and 6th it shows 6th maybe its got a grudge against 3rd and 5th! Lol.

Doesn’t really help you much, but at least it shows how finicky the device is over the signals.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Hellfire

posted on 3/5/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Having spoken to Acumen, the guy suggested that there may be a problem with the capacitor in the plug n play loom and to return the loom part only.

He also mentioned that he has come across these problems before, where dynojet power commanders are fitted I explained to him that we also have a power commander fitted too.

Guess we'll have to try a new plug n play loom and if we still experience problems, try hard wiring the DG8 into the loom before the SH.

What I also don't understand is why nobody seems to make a gear indicator for the ZX12R which picks up and displays the gear, directly from the gear position sensor.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 3/5/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, I've not heard of that many problems with the Acumen DG8 gear indicator, quite the opposite. I've heard and also experienced problems with the datatool gear indicators but held out a bit more hope for the Acumen one. I know of a few ZX12R owners who have them fitted and seem quite happy with them.

I hope it is a problem with the capacitor in the plug n play loom but the comments from Acumen about problems when used in conjunction with a Power Commander, make me doubt whether it will work.

I know GIpro are/were considering manufacturing a gear indicator/TRE for the ZX12R a few months back. Guess I'll have to drop em an e-mail to see if things have developed any further.

Phil

[Edited on 3-5-07 by Hellfire]

hobbsy

posted on 3/5/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a DG8, Speedohealer and a PC3R no problems. It doesn't matter if the DG8 is after the Speedohealer (mine is) but you do need to re-teach the DG8 if you change the calibration.

Ok that doesn't help you much, but just thought I'd post my experience

Also I'm not sure that messing up the 1-N-2 bit is the end of the world (although the manual does highlight it). I fluffed it once as I set mine up on the road and had to accelerate as someone was behind me and it still seemed to indicate the gears ok, just not as sharp as showing neutral

INDY BIRD

posted on 3/5/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I fitted one to my brothers zx12 had some probs didnt use the harness wired straight in.

The main prob was u need a constant power supply and the zx12 can pulse on certain live feeds causing it difficult to pick up the sensor and programme the dg8,

What i had to do was not wire into ignition live but take a main feed from the battery with a switch to turn it of and on this is the only way it would programme other wise the numbers keep flashing and wont programme.

Had no probs going from 1st to 2nd a neautral to 2nd on this car though.

Hope this helps

Sean

Grahame L

posted on 3/5/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst on the subject can anyone go through the set up routine as i now know why mine is faulty and have misplaced the destruction!!! Thanks

Grahame

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Grahame, if its the DG8, the procedure is as follows

With the engine running, press and hold the button on the back of the DG8 until it displays L. This indicates that the unit is in learn mode.

Press the button on the DG8 to tell it how many gears you have. ie, 6

Put it into first gear and hold revs between 2,000 & 4,000. The number 1 will start to flash and then three horizontal bars will appear and the DG8 will display 2.

Drop it into neutral and wait for a few seconds before programming 2nd gear.

Select second gear and hold revs as before until horizontal bars show then repeat for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

Job done.

Phil

chockymonster

posted on 4/5/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Phil,

My DG8 works perfectly with a speedo healer and PC3R.
I didn't bother with the P+P loom, it was too easy to splice it into the bike loom myself.
The speed indicator is taken from before the speedohealer, power comes from the car fuse board, neutral from the clocks, rpm feed from the clocks, earth direct to chassis.

It works perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Grahame L

posted on 4/5/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Phil, Ill give it a go!!
Hellfire

posted on 12/7/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just to round this thread off, we returned the DG8 to Acumen who tested it and could find no fault. They also ran some tests on an R1 with a Speedohealer and Power Commander fitted, to try and find if the Power Comander affected the gear indicator but again, they found nothing. We eventually returned it for a full refund.

I’d also contacted Speedohealer to find out where they were at with a GI Pro for the ZX12R. I knew they were talking about developing one but the actual product was quite a long way off. However, after some lengthy e-mail discussions and weeks of research on behalf of Speedohealer, we exchanged information and ideas and they produced a gear indicator for the ZX12R. We received the first GI Pro for the ZX12R for beta testing and fitted it up on 10th July 07. After initial testing, the gear indicator works faultlessly.

It may seem like a small thing but after the hassle we’ve had with the Acumen and Datatool gear indicators, it’s nice to get one that actually works precisely.

So a big thankyou to Norbert at Healtech. He’s a top bloke who is extremely busy yet still manages to communicate effectively whilst developing new products and is genuinely helpful. These attributes are very rare in most businesses these days and I’m sure that, armed with these qualities his business will go from strength to strength.

Speedohealer are looking to test this unit on all ZX12R models and as such are currently offering a 50% discount and a full money back guarantee. Basic install skills are required and using a voltmeter or digicam may be necessary. If you are interested, please send an e-mail to Norbert at the following address; info@speedohealer.com and tell him Phil sent you.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.