Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machine mart or Screwfix?
speedyxjs

posted on 7/5/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Machine mart or Screwfix?

This may be one of those ongoing arguements but as title. I need some clamps for welding and some proper tools (broke my old cheap ones trying to remove the front bumper...oops!).
Also while i remember, what did you use for measuring the angles on the tubes for the chassis?

designer

posted on 7/5/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tools are best from Halfords. Their proffessional range are excellent quality, well priced AND english made!

For welding clamps, any quality will do. Don't bother with G-clamps, spring clamps are just as good.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 7/5/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want.

I've bought some tools from MM which turned out to be absolute shite, as with anywhere avoid the cheap stuff. However, the Clarke socket set I got from them has had some serious abuse and has never let me down (its one of the lifetime guarantee ones - £32 seemed pretty good to me). They are usually helpful in store and are happy to find stuff.

Screwfix stuff usually seems better value but I've not bought a huge amount of stuff from there, mostly just nuts n bolts.

What about Halfords professional stuff? I got a set of 1/2" sockets for the breaker bar and they are superb, also lifetime guarantee.

Best tool buy? The compressor from Aldi

Iain

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

Fatgadget

posted on 7/5/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
King Dicks and Britools at car boot sales!
hillbillyracer

posted on 7/5/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Machine Mart have (or used to at least) a cheap set of clamps. 2x 2" G-clamps, 2x 4" G-clamps, 4x Q/R sash type clamps & a few plastic crocodile type clamps. I bought a set when I was stuck on a sunday where they had a VAT free day. I thought they wouldnt be up to much but I've used them for all sorts, well worth it.
I use Clarke pro 1/4" & 3/8" drive socket sets at work everyday & they've been excellent value but the ratchets were crap & have been replaced with teng, sockets & extensions are fine & you get imperial sizes too which I use a lot.

Peteff

posted on 7/5/07 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I used a machine mart protractor to mark out angles. I used some magnetic clamps and an assortment of mole grips to hold the tubing in place.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mal

posted on 7/5/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Measuring Angles

I too have bought items from MM which I have taken back after unpacking because of poor quality.
However, a tool I was happy with is their combination square set, which includes a 180 degree protractor and circle centre finder. The body is cast iron, rather than the usual aluminium found on cheap sets. It cost circa £24. A quality combination set from Mititoyo would cost near £150.

Mal

iank

posted on 7/5/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the engineering stuff in screwfix seems to be made by the same Chinese company Machine Mart use. They even sell stuff badged as Clarke.

So I'd go for whoever is cheaper, especially for something like clamps.

Also worth checking on ebay

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.