Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Avon engine
smouldin

posted on 8/5/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger Avon engine

I have posted a few jokes on here in the past, but this is my first serious question.

I am coming to the end of welding up the chassis to the Tiger book dimensions (well mostly to the dims, as a few of them are wrong). I am therefore starting to think about sorting the engine and gearbox for the fabrication of engine mountings etc.

I broke a Sierra 2.0l with the DOHC engine. After looking for gaskets, performance parts, etc for the engine (I believe it's called an I4) I have come to the conclusion it's a bit of a pup, and have decided on a different one.

I am initially looking at a standard 2.0l pinto, as the're fairly cheap for a 205 block, and tuning parts are readily available and quite cheap.

But, I have been offered a 2.9l engine from a scorpio (frogeye). I have worked on this type of engine before, when I had a 2.8i capri. I also remember something about them being re-engineered by Cosworth (maybe wrong on that one).

My main concern is whether the thing will fit into the standard chassis, or whether I will have to widen it.

Has anyone fitted said engine?

ps: congrats to everyone on here for running a superb forum.

ADD

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

If its the cosworth 24v V6 then someone on here has put one of these into a 7 chassis - not sure of his name though. But the frogeye engine is differnt to the older shape grandad engine and is more difficult to get wired in. The frogeye engine is a BOB and the older one is a BOA type. However a common upgrade to the BOA is to fit the BOB heads. Should be looking at about 240BHP with a free flowing exhaust. Width is an issue in the 7 chassis but not as much of an issue as the height - I know I have tried.

Adam

mookaloid

posted on 8/5/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
The V6 can be done, but if it's not the cosworth why bother?

The pinto can easily be tuned to put out more power and heavy though it is, it doesn't weigh nearly as much as the V6.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

andrew.carwithen

posted on 8/5/07 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Remember that the Avon has a very low bonnet/scuttle line when compared to some other 'sevens' so if the V6 is a tall engine, then it may well stick through the bonnet!!
Personally, if you're going to fit a car engine on a budget I'd fit a zetec. Its both shorter and lighter than a pinto or V6. Its been fitted many times in an Avon and has greater tuning potential for less money than a pinto. They are now a lot cheaper secondhand than they used to be. There is plenty of back-up to be had on the main Tiger forum for fitting the zetec and pinto but nothing for the V6.

Andy.

t.j.

posted on 8/5/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote

What's wrong with the DOHC? Type N9?
I raised my frame to 360mm and angled my engine 3 degr. Now it fits

I don't use Tiger bonnet.
Hey probably it ain't an Avon anymore

And for sure the measurements in the book are incorrect.

Grtz

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
If fitting this V6 (assuming it would fit) then i recon the exhaust might be a bit of a cost issue. I guess you may get away with fitting the standard cast manifolds but this would cost power and space. Custom header pipes are gonna cost a lot seeing as you have 2 banks of 3 and then you obviously have 2 silencers to think of.
flak monkey

posted on 11/5/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go with Mookaloid on this one.

Unless you are fitting a cossie v6 then stick with the pinto. It'll cost you a shed load less to tune and you will end up with a lighter car with better power to weight (dont start with the boat anchor thing )

You can pick up tuning parts for the pinto very cheap, especially if they are secondhand. Big valve heads regularly come up on ebay for about £100-150, along with various types of cams etc. Bearing in mind the std pinto is about 100bhp in carb form, or 115bhp in injection form and you can easily take that to 170-180bhp without much problem/expense then its a good choice. Especially if you like mucking about with engines (like me ). Also the amount of experience of many tuners around the country with regards the pinto is pretty good, as its been used for years in stock cars and rally cars.

David

PS contrary to popular belief they also sound nice

[Edited on 11/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.