Geographically, yes
Economically - halfway house between Europe and US
Socially - not even close!

bigrich

posted on 12/5/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
we don,t seem to be in the Eurovision either" nil poins"
nib1980

posted on 12/5/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just listening to terry, he makes me laugh every time!
I love speed :-P

posted on 12/5/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
we don,t seem to be in the Eurovision either" nil poins"

not anymore

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigrich

posted on 12/5/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
praise the lord for Malta
matt.c

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
Wogan makes it entertaining,
to be honest no other country likes us, the EU would be a poorer place without us though, shut all doors to the immigrants and look after ourselves, stop wasting money fighting other peoples battles and we'd be ok.
it's like a England v's Scotland/Wales/Ireland thing, just like the rest of europe they don't like too see us do well, eurovision is Uk based, but because England is part of the Uk, Thats it.

Stuff em!!!!!

Chris

Well said that man!! I wish you would run the country!

Alez

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pardon??? You guys have to be joking

The UK is part of the EU, and that is not only a reality (like it or not) but also a clear win-win scenario.

BenB

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Oh that was fun!!!
Bulgaria had my vote.. Ukraine a close second....

scottc

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
When did Russia become part of Europe?
Chippy

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Actualy the UK is not part of anything, as its just a load of parts itself, England, Scotland, Wales, and N/Irland, all of whome wish to go there own way. Next we will be having home rule for Yorkshire, (or some other county) all seems bl**dy stupid to me. That old saying keeps coming to mind, "United we stand, divided we fall". Heck! must get a bigger soap box. Ray.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

BenB

posted on 12/5/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Of course if Wales, Scotland, Yorkshire, Kent, Essex and Suffolk did become seperate countries then we would win

Same as the way that ex-Yugoslavian or ex-Russian countries will win EV for the next millenium cos there are so many countries with common social backgrounds...

Oh well... All supposed to be a bit of fun!!

RK

posted on 13/5/07 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
None of my business what goes on over there. I'm from the colonies.

However, I think you get a group of people together and sooner or later there will be some git who tries to find differences: one's got bluer eyes, the other's got darker skin, different religion, etc etc. I personally didn't think much of the Irish who have immigrated to Canada. Then, my sister did a genealogical study, and sure enough: "we're part Irish". Well, I'll be darned.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/5/07 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
europe?where,s that?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

wilkingj

posted on 13/5/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately we are part of the EU.

IMHO we should.

1. Withdraw ALL our troops, and then use them to actively guard our own borders, to prevent Illegal entry. I have no problem with Legal imigration.

2. Those that have NOT had their Asylum cases approved / accepted, should be shipped out of the country back to where they came from within 7 days.

3. Stop Paying any Foreign Aid. Then use the money to fix our own problems in the UK.
I have no problem with Foreign Aid, but Charity starts at Home. Especially whilst we have homeless and sick people not getting proper teatment in the NHS Lottery etc.

4. Anyone coming to live in the UK should NOT be eligible for ANY benefits until they have paid UK Taxes and NI for (say) 5 years.
They were not born here, so have not contributed to the country. Why should they drain its resources.

Radical? Maybe.. But why should we house, feed, and pay people to come here and live.

Perhaps then the number of people wanting to live in the country would fall, and then the congestion on the roads, and the pressure on the NHS and schools would lessen making it a better place to live.

[Edited on 13/5/2007 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 13/5/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
the UK is much more European than American in its outlook, despite our fondness of their music and films. Scratch the surface of America to see what's underneath and we would strongly dislike what we see.

Europe is not a homogenous whole though. Britain is more like north west Europe than the south or east. If we engaged with the EU more, as the joint 2nd biggest country (with France) things would go a lot more our way. It seems, politically at least, that we deliberatly stay at arms length and then whinge that we don't like the decisions that the others came to.

As for Russia, Europe extends as far as the Ural mountains, well inside Russia; more so than Turkey or Israel.

24vseven

posted on 13/5/07 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
i only have on thought about this whole uk europe debate
our parents grandparents and greatrandparents didnt fight and in somecases loose there lifes four our indipendence to have it taken away rom us by the back door politics with people trying to create a super country
we are surrounded by water for a reason we are our own country with our own customs and way of life
up the fish and chips and a pint of propper bitter
i realise not everyone out there will agree with me we are all adults and capeable of respecting other peoples oppinions with out starting a war about it
anyway thats my piece said now wheres that bloody menu i need to order a kebeb

StevieB

posted on 13/5/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
The UK has the finest armed forces in the world for one reason alone - there's only been one day that UK troops haven't been involved in an armed conflict on any scale - the day after the Suez Crisis was over. Bring them home and we lose all that experience.

As for the rest, watch the film Children of Men - it portrays a very harsh reality of exactly what you just suggested!

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Unfortunately we are part of the EU.

IMHO we should.

1. Withdraw ALL our troops, and then use them to actively guard our own borders, to prevent Illegal entry. I have no problem with Legal imigration.

2. Those that have NOT had their Asylum cases approved / accepted, should be shipped out of the country back to where they came from within 7 days.

3. Stop Paying any Foreign Aid. Then use the money to fix our own problems in the UK.
I have no problem with Foreign Aid, but Charity starts at Home. Especially whilst we have homeless and sick people not getting proper teatment in the NHS Lottery etc.

4. Anyone coming to live in the UK should NOT be eligible for ANY benefits until they have paid UK Taxes and NI for (say) 5 years.
They were not born here, so have not contributed to the country. Why should they drain its resources.

Radical? Maybe.. But why should we house, feed, and pay people to come here and live.

Perhaps then the number of people wanting to live in the country would fall, and then the congestion on the roads, and the pressure on the NHS and schools would lessen making it a better place to live.

[Edited on 13/5/2007 by wilkingj]

chrisg

posted on 13/5/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Actualy the UK is not part of anything, as its just a load of parts itself, England, Scotland, Wales, and N/Irland, all of whome wish to go there own way. Next we will be having home rule for Yorkshire, (or some other county) all seems bl**dy stupid to me. That old saying keeps coming to mind, "United we stand, divided we fall". Heck! must get a bigger soap box. Ray.

That, my friend, is a cracking idea!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Alan B

posted on 13/5/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
.......... Scratch the surface of America to see what's underneath and we would strongly dislike what we see.......................

Would you care to elaborate?

I'm puzzled.

I've lived here 13 years, and although not perfect, it's a great place to live.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
My VERY personal opinion is that we should jump into Europe with both feet, and lead from the front (just like France and Germany).

It's our pussy-footing about that stops it working for us.

IMHO.

24vseven

posted on 13/5/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My VERY personal opinion is that we should jump into Europe with both feet, and lead from the front (just like France and Germany).

IMHO.

David dont get me wrong i respect your opinion but are these not the two countrys who have repeatdly tryed to take over europe before this time there using politics rather than war
like i say our relitves fought to stop this now people want to forget all this

David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 24vseven
David dont get me wrong i respect your opinion but are these not the two countrys who have repeatdly tryed to take over europe before this time there using politics rather than war
like i say our relitves fought to stop this now people want to forget all this

That's why I'd prefer that we were keeping them busy in the Euro parliament than on the battlefield!

24vseven

posted on 13/5/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote

That's why I'd prefer that we were keeping them busy in the Euro parliament than on the battlefield!

David fair point lol

any one suggest some strange laws we can put to them to keep them busy

Peteff

posted on 13/5/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
any one suggest some strange laws we can put to them to keep them busy

It seems the banana straighteners and Hoover silencers are all over there thinking of laws for us to follow while ignoring them themselves. Every time anyone mentions stopping subsidies for French farmers the place goes haywire. If this plan ever come together we will be able to travel from UK to America without getting our feet wet.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.