Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dipstick for a Pinto SOHC 1.8
MK7

posted on 14/5/07 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dipstick for a Pinto SOHC 1.8

I managed to snap my dipstick off as it enters the guide tube into the sump when removing the inlet manifold. Now I've got to take the sump off to get the dipstick out and I'll be needing a new dipstick.

Anyone out there got a spare?

Thanks
Russell

se7ensport

posted on 14/5/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't got spare one, but I'd suggest using a magnet to retrieve the old one rather than dropping the sump (it's a pain to do and quite messy).
andyharding

posted on 14/5/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
There are different length dipsticks for Pintos. Make sure you check your new one is the same!

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Peteff

posted on 14/5/07 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I snapped mine off first time I fitted my bonnet. I pulled the dipstick tube out with the flat bit still inside it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Shamrock GS

posted on 14/5/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spare from a 1600 engine - dont know if its the same length but you are welcome to it for the cost of postage.

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

MK7

posted on 14/5/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gary, I'd be pleased to pay the cost of postage, I'll compare it in size once I receive it and see how well it fits. Please let me know what it'll cost and U2U me with your details.

BTW, if anyone knows if a 1600 dipstick will or won't be long enough I'd appreciate the input beforehand

Thanks
Russell

MK7

posted on 14/5/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
As a matter of interst, are there people out there that are prepared to measure the length of their dipstick and post it here along with the engine size?
MK7

posted on 21/5/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
After a lot of faffing about I got the sump off and the dipstick removed.

With the dipstick out I now realise that I could have removed it without having to remove the sump, there is a white plastic stopper which would have pulled off and allowed me to remove the dipstick with a pair of pliers.

No bother, I needed to fix a leaky sump gasket anyway.

My dipstick measures 468mm from the tip of the dipstic to the top of the wite plastic stopper.

Anyone got one of similar length?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.