Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you remove a tyre from the wheel?
Simon W

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
How do you remove a tyre from the wheel?

Might be a really obvious answer. I have tried cutting the tyre but this is taking ages due to the metal wires in the tyre. Whats the best method to getting the tyre off short of going to kwikfit and asking them to do it. I dont intend using the tyres so dont mind damaging them.
owelly

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
A stout pair of workboots and 'heel' the bead. Go round and round until the bead comes off.
If it's really tight, use a scissor jack under something heavy, like a car. A bottle jack will do.
Put the base of the jack as close to the bead as possible and when the tyre is squashed enough, tap the base off the jack into the bead and then keep jacking (off!). If the bead is reeeeeealy tight, you may need to hammer the tyre as close as you can to the bead.
I have a set of hooked tyre levers and they are fab for such jobs!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
A stout pair of workboots and 'heel' the bead.

Best of luck with that We used to put a plank on the tyre up to the bead and drive my mates Land Rover up the plank and that wasn't always enough. You'll need some good tyre levers as well once you've broken the bead.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

goodall

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
i used my piller drill to press the bead down didnt take that much effort after i had tried using the weight of a car to no avail

i found the getting the tyre of from inside the rim hardest, took a lot of pulling and levering

owelly

posted on 16/5/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
And make sure you take the tyre off the right side of the rim. The side with the shallowest rim!!
I have taken off dozens off tyres using my clumpy boots and a couple of big ring spanners as tyre levers. It just takes a bit of patience and a tiny bit of skill. I never use any tools when changing motorbike tyres. Just my trainers and my hands. This is after seeing so many expensive powder coated rims get fudged!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 16/5/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I never use any tools when changing motorbike tyres. Just my trainers and my hands.

I have struggle with mountain bike tyres in the past, all the pulling/pushing ends up with finger nails detaching from fingers at the end bit - quite painful it is.

omega 24 v6

posted on 16/5/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Tis a poo job to do by yourself. Give the young apprentice a tenner to do it in his lunch break at kwik fit.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Danozeman

posted on 16/5/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Tis a poo job to do by yourself. Give the young apprentice a tenner to do it in his lunch break at kwik fit.

Id go with that. I change probably 10 tyres a day with a machine and some can be pigs!! Escpecially older ones.

[Edited on 16/5/07 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

snapper

posted on 16/5/07 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How do you remove a tyre from the wheel?

Hit a kerb side on at about 60mph thats how i did it

Seriously take it to a tyre place, they will have it off in seconds and charge you £1.50 to dispose of it.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

gulf zxr

posted on 16/5/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I used a stanley knife on the soft side wall then just used a large flat blade screwdriver, each wheel took about 5 mins.
Schrodinger

posted on 16/5/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Disposing of the tyre might be a bigger problem. Take it to a tyre fitter.

Keith
Aviemore

RK

posted on 16/5/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
As a longtime downhill mountain bike racer, I can tell you that certain rims don't lend themselves to tire removal: use lots of soapy water, it will make a tough job a lot easier.
millenniumtree

posted on 17/5/07 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Disposing of the tyre might be a bigger problem. Take it to a tyre fitter.

You've obviously never seen a stream bed in the US. Old tyres everywhere...

It's a shame what some people will do to weasel out of a $5 disposal fee.

Get creative - make a planter pot or four. Plants go in 1 side, drainage out the other.

Or you can throw your old tires into the back of my pickup... Like the last owner did!

[Edited on 17/5/07 by millenniumtree]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.