Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new name
izzy alright

posted on 16/5/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
new name

Hello all, Ive been lurking around this site for a few years, but for a couple of weeks Ive been unable to log in on my old user name so Ive re-registered .(Hope thats not against the rules). Ive never had to ask for help as all my problems have been sorted with the search button .Ive recently retired so I may have time to finnish the avon. Thanks for all your help, izzy
izzy alright

posted on 16/5/07 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Any subject eh! How about this. Ive just bought a Renault commando G08 horsebox.There seems to be exessive play in the steering,I am told that this is correct(6"at the steering wheel) Anyone got any ideas
oliwb

posted on 16/5/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Renault.....hmmmm French....yes que intake of breath through pursed lips (hssssss) that'll be normal then.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 16/5/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the reins need tightening?
Mark Allanson

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

russbost

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Steering box requires adjustment - belated welcome

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
izzy alright

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Steering box ok. The arm from the box acts on some sort of servo valve which operates the power assisting ram. The play is from this servo valve which I am told is normal,but it still feels strange at 60mph. izzy
hillbillyracer

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've no expierence of Renault trucks but the principle on which the system I think you have is that the play is there in the valve so when you turn the steering wheel the movement pushes the valve open before you get as far as actually moving the wheels. As the ram moves the linkage it lifts the load off the valve & the movement stops unless you keep moving the steering wheel.
However you only need enough play to open the valve, 6" at the wheel sounds a lot. Is it not a maximum of 3" at the rim edge for cars with a steering box for the MOT? HGVs might be different anyway.

izzy alright

posted on 16/5/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Give that man a cigar,youve got it in one,Now any ideas on taking some of the play out. Iwish I had a workshop manual, Any HGV fitters out there? izzy
hillbillyracer

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I cant really help, I see a few old 7.5 tonners that farmers use but most seem to have the setup all in the steering box without a seperate ram. It may have something like a tapered pin & hole adjusted with shims or a locknut.
I hate the things anyway, I'm much happier with a tractor!

izzy alright

posted on 16/5/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tractor! Now youre talking. Id much rather be working on my old T20

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.