Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tesla Electric sports Car - Nice
ADD

posted on 18/5/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Tesla Electric sports Car - Nice

Just been for a ride in a Tesla electric sports car, massively impressive. Will put some pics and details up once I ghet home.
Adam

smart51

posted on 18/5/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
does it have the usuall electric car torque curve? MASSES of pull off the line which reduces exponentially afterwards?
ADD

posted on 18/5/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 18/5/07 by ADD]

OK for some reason I can't get my pics to upload but they are in my archive if you want to have a look.
it has 240hp 100% tourqe all the time, the one I was in was a prototype about to go for endurance testing. The final one will have 2 'gears' basically a low range and a not so low range. The one I was in only had second gear, 0-60 in about 6 secs rather than the production 4 secs. It pulled at a constant rate, obviously no gear changes to inturupt the fun and constant straight line torque.
The only thing that was missing was a decent sound track. It sounded like a dynamo - like you used to get on bicycles.

Adam

Ivan

posted on 18/5/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking car and I imagine great fun until you have to replace the batteries

Also - from what I've seen the car is very expensive and only realy affordable by the rich and famous who will stop playing with it fairly soon and it will then become a display piece for their lip service to conservation.

One thing I've wandered about is the motor - what motor do they use - from my experience of pump motors a 100kW + motor weighs a ton and is way too heavy for a car never mind say 4 X 30 kW motors.

ADD

posted on 18/5/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The batteries are good for about 100 000 miles, and yes they are expensive. The car is about £50K so yes expensive but for the first of its kind I don't think its that bad.
400 people have paid for one without even having sat in one!.

They use a newly engineered motor - not your common garden lecky motor - about the size of a 24 pack of bottled beer. the battery pack is much bigger. Batts and motor weigh in at a hefty 1/2 ton. But the rest of the car is carbon fibre.

smart51

posted on 18/5/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
One thing I've wandered about is the motor - what motor do they use - from my experience of pump motors a 100kW + motor weighs a ton and is way too heavy for a car never mind say 4 X 30 kW motors.

Pump motors are designed to turn slowly so they are quite big for the power they produce. Up the revs from 1500 RPM to 8000 and you get about 5 times the power from the same sized motor, or can have a motor 20% of the size for the same power output. Traction motors (rather than static ones) are also made from lighter materials. a 15kW motor I've seen, with a lightweight frame, weighs about 20 kg, thats about 1kg per BHP or half the weight of a petrol engine.

Wadders

posted on 18/5/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking motor, but it needs a v8 petrol engine dropping in, sod the dolphins
Al.

Bob C

posted on 18/5/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
motor's probably a permanent magnet synchronous or maybe brushless DC - they have best efficiency & are nice & quiet.
I'll just google it to see how far off the mark I am....
Bob

MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tesla Motors

A 4 pole 3 phase motor, so unsurprisingly a synchronous design. This technology has been used in many of the electric locomotives around London for a long time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.