Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange rev counter and speedo
Furious D

posted on 18/5/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Strange rev counter and speedo

Now my speedo has been playing up for a while. Casually driving along and then it just stops working. Normally at the bottom of Detling Hill by the speed camera....

Am i to assume just a new cable?

Went out just a moment ago to take her round the block and the rev counter started to do strange things. Starts off ok then come up to some lights down the gears and then just on tick over whilst waiting for a green. I look at the rev counter and it is saying 2,000 rpm, the car was not reving at that. Then as i pull away it stays there until the engine gets to 2,000 revs and then works ok apart from coming down. By the time i got home it was more or less back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers
D

millenniumtree

posted on 18/5/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
at the bottom of Detling Hill by the speed camera....

I think you've hit on something!!
It's a conspiracy!!!

Electromagnetic anti-rev-counter interference mechanism!!

OK, seriously. Speedo went out on our old Camry. The shop said it was the cable that needed to be replaced. It was a junker, so we didn't look any further. *shrug* Amazing how little a car is worth without a working odometer - suddenly you don't know exactly how many miles are on it.

If it's a cable problem, why would it hold 2k revs at a stop light? Wouldn't the cable be running at or slower than real revs? I can't see a cable running higher than the actual speed. Maybe an electrical fault that is feeding stray voltage into the sensor?

My thoughts anyway - but what do I know? Not a whole lot.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 18/5/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is this your daily driver (if so which ) or your Tiger?

Rev counter could just be sticky needle - have you tapped it ?

Wife had problems on Ford Focus with speedo round about A249 / M20 junction when speedo dropped to zero. Ford agents fixed it ....was fairly simple.

Are you in Maidstone ?

If you go into Detling down Hockers lane you'ss see a Sierra shell parked on my drive

Furious D

posted on 18/5/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry this is for the Tiger.

I work in Maidstone and live in Sittingbourne.

D

Macbeast

posted on 18/5/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends on whether speedo is electronic or mechanical. If mechanical might just be drive cable not firmly in either gearbox end or speedo end. Strange tho that it happens at the same place. Might just be you shifting down at the same time as starting up relatively steep hill causing drive to disengage.

If speedo is electronic could be a dodgy electrical connection caused as above.

Still think the rev counter sounds like sticky needle.

Good luck anyway

Schrodinger

posted on 18/5/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
The cable drive Tiger speedo is renown for breaking cables hence ne buying an electronic alternative. It seems that to get the speedo cale to work you have to either use a 90 degree adapter which in themselves tend not to last long or you have to take the cable through the straight from the box tunnel under the carpet and up under the dash.

I wich you lock

The tacho sounds like a poor earth could be the problem.

BTW if they are Tiger instruments they are made by ETB who are also very helpfull if they need repairing.

[Edited on 18/5/07 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

Furious D

posted on 19/5/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I will check the wiring for the rev counter and the speedo is mechanical. I think you are right about shifting down. It is in the back of the speedo ok will follow cable and check other end.

D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.