Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Atomclub idiot!
nitram38

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Atomclub idiot!

I have been a member of this for a while.
I liked the technical chat and also thought about my up coming Project X which will be "atom like" while not being a copy.
I even met up with one of it's members who kindly let me poke and prod his car.
Then came a discussion about wheel arches and I noticed that they will not pass sva, so ariel must change them afterwards, plus also the lack of bolt covers on the suspension.
One of their members got on his high horse and called me a troll and that I probably didn't know what I was talking about.
I haven't got time for stuck up atom snobs so I just quit the forum.
To add balance, there were plenty of atom club members who defended me.
I look at it this way, it is their loss.
When a new generation of sva wise plod start pulling them over, they can pay the fines.
All it takes is one big headed idiot.
Just goes to prove that you can't teach pigs to sing. It frustrates you and irritates the pigs.
Here is the thread if you want a look Atom Thread

MOz

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Love the retort from the chap who repeated the "they have, it passed" comment about VOSA's opinion of your car!!!!

I'd love to be able to afford to be an Atom snob!!!!

MOz

nitram38

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Well. project X will really p*ss this particular idiot off.
It will look similar to the atom so I am in for some abuse, but not only that, it will be lighter and quicker than an atom MK I.
Although my car will cost about £15K (similar to a second hand MK I atom), it will have the performance of their £38K one.
£24K saved for a bit of work and thought.

R1 powered and road legal too!

[Edited on 23/5/2007 by nitram38]

graememk

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote

"Thou Shalt not speak the truth if it goeth against Atom"

pmsl

chockymonster

posted on 23/5/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
He's not an idiot, he's the same as all of us. Defending the manufacturer of the car he has chosen.

You might not like what he said and it may not be right but he is entitled to his viewpoint, the same that you are.

In reality you've done worse than him, if he was an idiot the thread would have been deleted and you banned but instead you've thrown your toys and run away. At least you were allowed an opportunity to state why, you just didn't take it up.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 23/5/07 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Me also thinks Nitram takes offence too easily - did you not change anything on your car after SVA?

Fred W B

Gaz 1977

posted on 23/5/07 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
FORUMS

It does seem that the comments were a bit harsh and that the owners seem to think that their cars are 'above SVA' but thankfully there were people defending you. There is good and bad everywhere.

this next comment is nothing to do with the atom thread,

Not being an expert on web forums (text on phones etc) it seems that the moment there is no physical or vocal interaction between people things can be easily misinterpreted. I am sure that at some point i have pissed someone off on here but it was never the goal.

GAZ

flak monkey

posted on 23/5/07 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
What we actually say only conveys about 10-20% of the actual meaning (depends whose research you read), the rest comes from visual interaction and body language. Which obviously forums/web based chats lack. This is why so many people get wound up by a comment, that sometimes was meant in jest/sarcasm/whatever.

As for the Atom club, seems like there was just one idiot mod who seems to think the atom is above kit cars (it is after all what they started out as, and to some extent still are). Seems like there were plenty of people sticking up for you, so I wouldnt worry too much. If you are fed up with it though, leave, it lowers your stress levels

Good luck with Project X by the way, looks very interesting indeed. I look forward to seeing the idea become reality

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/5/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
What does check book charlie know about SVA anyway seems to think his car needs to do SVA...
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 23/5/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
He's not an idiot, he's the same as all of us. Defending the manufacturer of the car he has chosen.

They do seem like prats but have seen it before when i posted on a BMW forum that buying my 7 series was a mistake as i didn't like the car. I got a single word reply (TW*T) from one of the many moderators. I got banned from the site for my reply so re registered to ask why and was banned for life. Thank feck this site is a good un

Peteff

posted on 23/5/07 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a gifted amateur.

I love it when someone gives compliments
Send them some rude pictures and call them names like a proper troll, and tell them you drive a Maestro with phat sound system. I would agree with you on the mudguards. I would also worry about any forum with this

"have this idea of driving the M4 late on a hot night with just a pair of speedo's on nothing else "

posted on it. It sounds a bit worrying to me that someone who is not a professional swimmer would actually consider wearing Speedos, sounds a bit GHEY to me

[Edited on 23/5/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 23/5/07 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Strange reaction to a very apparent potential problem.

I wouldnt expect many owners of any factory built car to have known that, but clearly if anyone was concerned it should have been directed to the manufacturer and not yourself.

I very much doubt any of the OEM's would get away with such deviations from standard prior to delivering a new car to a customer. Can you imagine someone getting a new ford and getting prosecuted cos the Cat had been removed by the main dealer at the PDI.

Yes, many of us do continually improve our cars after SVA. I gues sthat is a risk we all take and accept in full knowledge. However for someone to but a factory car that has been modified before delivery with no knowledge of the mods - then im afraid i believe that is wrong.

nitram38

posted on 23/5/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You might not like what he said and it may not be right but he is entitled to his viewpoint, the same that you are.

In reality you've done worse than him, if he was an idiot the thread would have been deleted and you banned but instead you've thrown your toys and run away. At least you were allowed an opportunity to state why, you just didn't take it up.

Except that I talk about cars without writing personal insults..................

MikeRJ

posted on 23/5/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I doubt the thread would have been deleted, the "gentleman" accusing Nitram of trolling was a moderator! If Nitram is a troll, that guy is a loose cannon who shouldn't be representing a group of otherwise decent enthusiasts.

russbost

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
How closely are Atom themselves connected with the forum? Is it perhaps that you've touched a nerve, & this is a "factory sensitive" area?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to the best of my knowledge you are not obliged to comply with SVA once the test has been passed - surely to use the car legally on the road you need a current MoT (where applicable) & to comply with construction & use regs. I don't think VOSA could do anything about, for instance, wheel arches not covering wheels as per the SVA manual if they pulled you for a roadside check. If I'm not correct VOSA could have great fun intercepting a local "Corsa Boys" meet!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
goodall

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
im not sure of the law that about this but maybe the atom shouldent even pass the mot with its wheel arches and therefore the police could pull you over if driving one you have just picked up from the factory. its just like the law for trailer mud guards surely and this would mean that you could be done for having illegal wheel arches as the police are already aware of the law but must either be to dim wited to apply the law to atoms or they past pass a blind eye to the offence

goodall

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
and sorry of my stupidity but whats a troll on a online forum????

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/5/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Clearly illegal arches as they dont go to the front of the rim

iank

posted on 23/5/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall
and sorry of my stupidity but whats a troll on a online forum????

From wikipedia

A troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 23/5/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
The Atom isn't required to take an SVA per car AFAIK it's under the "Small Series Type Approval Scheme.

http://www.vca.gov.uk/additional/files/vehicle-type-approval/vehicle-type-approval/vca002.pdf

Having a quick read it seems the first vehicle off the line goes through something closely resembling a SVA test. The manufacturer then gets a MAC. There is some variation allowed/negotiable in the cars that follow - if they change too much they need further MACs against those changes.

I suspect wheel size (for example) is something that is an authorised modification - that would make sense IMO, it's a minor change in principle.

However that one in the picture probably fails a strict reading of construction and use and you could theoretically get pulled for it. I doubt anyone ever has been or will be, how many coppers (even trafpol) know the regulations on wheel arch coverage in enough detail to pick it up, even if they could be bothered.

To be honest it's really an arbitrary item in the SVA test to ensure people can't put on tiny arches, they need something to measure against, and the wheel makes it easy for the tester and constructor to get something sensible.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.