Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper rear wishbone
8smokingbarrels

posted on 11/8/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Upper rear wishbone

Hope someone can give me a bit of help

According to the book, the rear upper wishbone is bolted to the upright with a single bolt. I assume that this bolt sits inside 2 bushes- but I cant find a mention of them. Also there seems to be a crush tube inside the bracket that is welded to the top of the upright- what diameter is this?

Thanks in advance

chris

Viper

posted on 12/8/03 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
The tiger rear wishbone set up is not very clever in the way it pre stresses the bushes, if it helps have a look in my archive to see how i have done mine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
8smokingbarrels

posted on 13/8/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thx Viper- I particularly like ur 'rear end' pics!

Very helpful indeed- I note that u positioned the coil over shock beside the driveshaft (as opposed to above it as in the book fotos). This makes more sense to me as it keeps every 'down low'

I take it there is no chance of the lower wishbone 'twisting' in some way due to the coilover being mounted offcentre?

Thx again

chris

Viper

posted on 13/8/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I thought of that, was going to brace across the wishbone but i wound the shocks up to max stiff and had four of us bouncing on the rear with no ill effects, so i guess it's gonna be ok .
If you like the rear you will have to look at the front when it's finished, that's a little different too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
8smokingbarrels

posted on 15/8/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thx Viper- look forward to that- the work u have so far is v.impressive

The more I study the work others have the more I realise there is no specitic solution to the 'suspension' problems. As long as several key points are adhered to, then it seems wishbones can be almost ANY shape to fit shocks and driveshafts

Thx for the help- Ive got quite a collection of wishbone pics from here now!

chris

Northy

posted on 15/8/03 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
So whats happening with the front end then Viper?

I'm guessing wider for a start

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Viper

posted on 15/8/03 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah wider and adjustable for camber...

Northy

posted on 16/8/03 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
But the originals are adjustable for camber........

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Viper

posted on 16/8/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, alchahol fueled typing again, i ment castor..

Northy

posted on 16/8/03 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I look forward to seeing that!

PS I saw a real life, on the road, finished Avon today

Graham

Viper

posted on 16/8/03 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
wow i am impressed..

wedding go ok?

gjn200

posted on 17/8/03 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
I look forward to seeing that!

PS I saw a real life, on the road, finished Avon today

I saw one at stoneleigh, the biggest pile of shite ever. God knows how it passed sva. Just a thourght though, if you had a pre sva car that was had it, could you just transfer the chassis number and reg plate to a new one and then inform dvla of an engine change? If you were pulled by the sniffs and have to take your documents in would the average plod know the difference? I think not.

<- Me!

Viper

posted on 17/8/03 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
This very subject was brought up elswhere on here, Apparently people have been buying up old Duttons and scrapping them and using the Duttons identity on there new car, i guess technicaly it would be a ringer, but then if you were to have any car and blow up an engine so you had to have a new one, then had a big shunt and wrote off the chassis, as they are the only parts with numbers one, get my drift??

punker

posted on 18/8/03 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
viper i've got the tube to make my wishbones (just doing the same as the book) can you tell me what bushes you used and size tube for the bushes to go in? also which ball joints are you using for the front?

would help me out a treat
cheers

Viper

posted on 18/8/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Punker,
The bushes i used were supplied by Luego, bloody good price, the tube i used for the bushes is 29mm id 10swg, bottom balljoints were supplied by Tiger (was going to use Tiger wishbones till i examined them an shat myself ) the top ones i used were transit track rod ends not transit drag links as some have used, track rod ends have a bigger diam thread than the drag link.
Hope this helps
Tim

punker

posted on 21/8/03 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
yeh that helps alot, gave luego a bell and the're so nice. definatly going to use their bushes and they sell the bush tube parted-off. kinda wish i was building a luego.

p.s. are you using M12 or 1/2" HT bolts?

Northy

posted on 21/8/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
wedding go ok?

Yes thanks, everything was perfect. And it was nice to get away for a while. Went back into the garage on Tuesday night, the first time since the wedding.

Only thing wrong was my car wasn't ready to drive to the church in.

Graham

Viper

posted on 21/8/03 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Punker.
1/2"unf for the wishbones and shocks. I don't know what size luegos crush tubes are internaly as i made my own.

Graham
Glad to hear your day went well.
Tim.

Viper

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Graham.
finished new front wishbones, just put some pics in my archive, just a little different from Tigers

Northy

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmmm. Interesting.

Get 'em banged on then so we can see what it looks like. Take it your using Sierra front uprights?

Cheers

Graham

Viper

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
No i am using Cortina.

Northy

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good! Sierra ones are really ugly!!

When you fitting them?

Graham

Viper

posted on 4/9/03 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
this wekend, if not tommorow.

Viper

posted on 5/9/03 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Graham,
couple of pics of the wishbones on the car in my archive.

Northy

posted on 6/9/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one.

They do look a little different!

Graham

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.