Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel leaking from pump!
millenniumtree

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel leaking from pump!

I discovered that the fuel pump on my rusty pickup has probably blown a diaphram and is spraying little droplets of fuel all over the engine bay out the lower vent holes. From there, they get blown around by the radiator fan.

Not too expensive to fix, and I'm glad I discovered it before my engine exploded.

Petrol is kinda scary.

Any advice for installing a new fuel pump? Do I have to prime it, and if so, how?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 27/5/07 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Lucky.
millenniumtree

posted on 29/5/07 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so I replaced the fuel pump today and solved three problems in one swoop!!

1) It cleared up the rough idle (it now purrs like a rusty kitten with half a muffler)
2) The exhaust is no longer grey-black and doesn't stink like a teletubby on fire.
3) No more leaks under the hood as far as I can tell!

Oh, and it won't explode in a ball of firey rusty death - bonus.

Love when things go well!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
you should find your mpg increases too.
millenniumtree

posted on 29/5/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I will, but I wasn't actually driving it. It's not registered either so I technically am not supposed to be driving it at all. I did run it around the block though, just to see if all was well.

It isn't running as rich as it was, but I still need to get the carb tuned before I'll be confident about it.

Now I need to change the oil again (it's probably contaminated with fuel), and change all the belts that got soaked with oil and gas. I'd also like to replace as many vacuum hoses as possible, after steam-cleaning the engine bay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.