Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: British GP - worth it?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
British GP - worth it?

Ive never been to the British Grand Prix before but quite fancy it this year. I was just wondering what the general admission views are like? Can you see much of the track? Do they have plenty of TVs set up so you can see the whole race?

Cheers,

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
At the prices they charge now, I'd say no, but the last time I went to a GP was at Brands in 1985 and it was about £15

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
We camped up in 2004 it was great!
you dont realise how loud they are until you get up there and stand a few metres from them.
To really get your moneys worth i would definately say go for the full weekend.
You can walk round the outside of the whole track over the friday and saturday and pick the best spot for the race but you will need to get up VERY early on race day or it will be packed. We got there at 5.30 and there was already hundreds of people in there spots.

Hope this helps

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
other countries are very cheap in comparison...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/5/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I went to the Melbourne GP last year and it sounds pretty much the same - VERY loud and VERY packed on race day. It was good fun though, although it was also considerably cheaper than it is over here. And it was in Australia...

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 30/5/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
It would be unfair to put you off, probably be a better than recent atmosphere this time round due to you know who going well.

You need too go with friends, stay the weekend, get up at 04.00 Sunday if you got to sleep that is too get a decent vantage point, fall asleep waiting for the gp to start, then make your own mind up if it was worth it......

Some people love it, me, been there got the t shirt, not to bothered about another t shirt but glad I got one, make sense ?

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this still works, but there did used to be a way of getting in for free. Only really works if you've got a spare few days though. what I used to do was go and work for the main circuit caterers for the few days before hand, then just ring in sick! You get a free contractors pass which is good for everywhere except the paddock! I used to have a great time wandering about watching it all for free. As i say though, only works if you have a few free days.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 30/5/07 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of friends were pricing going to the british grand prix a few years ago and found it cheaper to go to Italy for a week and take in the grand prix there

RK

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Brands 1978 was worth it. I even got to see Jackie Stewart doing a lap or two in the old Tyrrell, and George Harrison taking pics. Also got Gilles Villeneuve's autograph.

2007? You'd probably have to be 8 miles away nowadays.

billynomates

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Watch it on tellie. Motor sport doesn't lend itself to watching at the venue (like football for example). Plus it'll cost a friggin fortune, and Lewis Hamilton won't win.
scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I think you've confirmed a few of my fears, mainly that race day is going to be such a free-for-all that I don't stand a chance of getting a decent view unless I camp, which I wasn't planning on.

Travelling abroad isn't a bad idea. Either that or travelling back to 1978

Pete

scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates
Watch it on tellie. Motor sport doesn't lend itself to watching at the venue (like football for example). Plus it'll cost a friggin fortune, and Lewis Hamilton won't win.

Ever the optimist eh?

Pete

Chippy

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
RK must have missed you in 78, I was there to. Did all the BGP's from 76 to 81, never saw one bloody race, just odd bits, as was working in the pits. Mind you met all the big names, and quite a few celeb's. Great place to be though, noise, smell just the whole thing. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

stevebubs

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates

I was lucky enough to see the British GP for free from one of the Brooklands suites a couple of years ago. Meant that I could see the bendy bit where Trulli (sp) flipped his car spectacularly and also keep up to date on the rest of the race while watching it one the plasmas.

Spent most of the race inside watching it on the tellies. The really good thing of this was the authentic soundtrack - the commentators were drowned out by the cars going past the windows!

Based on this, my experience is would be "unless you're an absolute F1 diehard nut with too much cash, watch it at home and turn the amp up".

stevebubs

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good view of this...

Trulli
Trulli

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Better take a trip to SPA.......now thats a real track....
didnt cost much to get in. Best was not many louts in white and red screwing up the campsite .......Just remember its in the mountians.......can rain a little bit.

stevebubs

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
BTW, the highlight for me was being able to walk around the classic pits and talk to the drivers / owners/ mechanics.

BKLOCO

posted on 31/5/07 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Take all this BS with a very large pinch of salt.
If you love cars, and you've never been, then going to a British Grand Prix is one of the things you should definately do before you die.
This year it's worth going as at least we have a reasonably competitive driver in a reasonably competitive car.
It's not so much what you can see it's the whole atmosphere of the w-end.
If you can afford it GO FOR IT.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Hellfire

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you've never been to an F1 Race then I would say it's on your list of "To Do's" before you die! I'm not keen on watching football on the TV, but watching them play live is an experience not to be missed.

I have never been to an F1 Race either, but when I feel a unusually high compulsive urge to go, then I certainly will with little regard to the cost.

Watching F1 on TV doesn't absorb you like watching it live would - I'd say get yourself there, then complain if it's rubbish - but at least you've been!

Steve

[Edited on 31-5-07 by Hellfire]

scoobyis2cool

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah fair point although I have already been to one, just not the British one. Melbourne was amazing and something I'd definitely pay to do again, I'm just not sure Silverstone can live up to it. The main thing I'm concerned about is turning up at 7am only to find that all the decent spots are already taken!

From what people have said it sounds like there is no official gate opening time? In Melbourne I think it was 7.30, so at least everyone had a decent chance of getting there early enough to find a decent spot, but I'll be commuting from an hour away and don't fancy leaving home at 3am!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.