Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA tips
dozracing

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
SVA tips

Not sure if these have been published on here before, but, i came across some new info to me, at a recent test.

According to my inspector, if your speedo works off the front wheels (like a Caterham) then they have no means to test it and can't fail it.

Also reversing lights are optional so if you don't fit one its not a failure.

You can have bald tyres if you want so long as they meet the required speed rating (don't get that one myself).

I'm sure there was something else but i've forgotten it temporarily. Thought the speedo was very interesting and i shall be using this method in future.

DG

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
meany

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
re: speedo.

i was told this by a westy owner who had just passed its sva.

but you do need a calibration certificate.

flange nut

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, I've heard that unless you have documentary proof that your front wheel driven speedo is accurate, you fail.
billynomates

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this is relevant, but bike speedo's used to be driven off the front wheel, so that goes against the "speedo from a driven wheel" theory.
iank

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's a practical limitation of the equipment they use that means driving the speedo from a non-driven wheel is problematic at the test.

Whether they can fail it or not I'm not so sure about - not got the manual in front of me.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

marc n

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
speedo reading has to be verified reading acurately by a automotive garage by means of gps or similar i was told by the man at newcastle. most modern gauges are a doddle to setup anyhow put in tyre circumferance no of magnets / triggers diff ratio and jobs a goodun, if you are on bike clocks then the speedo healer even tells you how to programme it

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 30/5/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
useful info
zetec

posted on 31/5/07 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Chris, I know the test is a pain in the arse in some respects, but it's there for my safety as much as anything.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

02GF74

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dozracing

According to my inspector, if your speedo works off the front wheels (like a Caterham) then they have no means to test it and can't fail it.

not sure about that one. mine was driven off the rear wheels but failed due to the equipement - 2 rollers insted off one so I had diff action going.

Having an accurate speedo will say you money on speeding fines so it would be foolish not to have one.

I had to go to rolling road where they did speed measurment and presented just the paper to get my MAC.

speedyxjs

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I didnt think a speedo was 'required' for SVA

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Guinness

posted on 31/5/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Speedo is a requirement for SVA.

Mine is / was mounted on the front wheels at SVA in Newcastle.

I drove the car so the front wheels went onto the rollers, he strapped it down and sat in the car. He then started the rollers spinning using a remote control in his hand. 30-40-50-60-70mph with the car shaking a bit and the front wheels going like the clappers.

Then he failed me 'cause I was 1mph under at 70mph! (Forgot to disable the accelerometer on the VR2, which was confusing the readings, wheel going round quick but car sitting still!).

So some VOSA stations can test front wheel speedos!

Doz is right about the reverse light (in fact reverse is optional for a BEC!), and the bald tyres.

Cheers

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.