Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guage crazy
millenniumtree

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Guage crazy

I like the idea of having 2 oil pressure guages - 1 on each side of the filter - so you can see how plugged up it is. This could go for other filters as well like air or fuel.
There must be dual needle guages for this type of application?

I also like the idea of lots of guages - not just for engine monitoring but also for show. Not like 20 guages though - there is a point when it becomes excessive.
Normal:
fuel, tach, speed, clock
Extra:
voltage, dual oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, boost (if turbo)
Weird:
vacuum pressure, ignition timing, fuel usage/mpg

what's the feasability of some of these weirder ones and have you seen a guage you really like that I haven't mentioned? Maybe this has all been covered?

I speak of course only of analog guages. Digital is nice, but a classic car requires a few moving needles, IMO. Not that it couldn't all be driven by a computer...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 31/5/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why not buy a digi dash with logging facility that they use on race cars?
You will be able to measure just about anything and also make your dash look half tidy too.

millenniumtree

posted on 1/6/07 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not particularly interested in track time, and I think analog guages have a nice classic look. If digitally driven, they can all be logged anyway.

Personally, I rather like the look of 6 or 8 well placed guages instead of a compact digital race display.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/6/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I prefer the more minimalist approach to analogue dials. I have Speedo, Tacho, Fuel and Water Temp fitted and a low oil pressure warning lamp. I have considered adding a clock, but then a wrist watch does the job and I already have one.

Too many dials gets confusing and IMHO can look untidy.

All my personal taste of course

02GF74

posted on 1/6/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
never foget that "ignorace is bliss". The more guages you fit, the more things you have to worry about going wrong

.... but if you insist .....

There are dual guages but not usaully for the same function i.e. you will get water temp/oil temp (differentscales) or water temp.oil pressure etc.

fit 2 water temp.oil pressure next to each other.

the important ones are rpm, water temp and oil pressure, anything else is an addition.

here are some guages I fitted earlier :p

[img[[/img]

millenniumtree

posted on 1/6/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm. Gauges are sexy - must be the engineer side of me speaking.

Some chrome surrounds and that's perfect.

Vacuum performance! Hurrah!! To detect a vacuum leak at a glance! Fantastic!

Been looking up up prices for gauges and da-aamn they're expensive. I did find some dual-needle pressure gauges used for air-suspension systems on lowriders - not sure if one of those could be adapted to suit oil pressure though.

Donor gauges for now I guess.

02GF74

posted on 4/6/07 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
TIM gauges are quite cheap; for dual oil guages oil pressure/water temp - look at MGB). The guages turn up on ebay

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.