Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NEW TIN TOP SUGGESTIONS
Moorron

posted on 1/6/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
NEW TIN TOP SUGGESTIONS

Looking for some advice on a new car.

I currently own a Range rover classic CSK which is modded into a pickup. But i am looking at selling it as i am getting bored of it and the 14MPG it manages around town. I think there’s a pic of it in my profile. Ive owned it for 3 years now and bought it off my neighbor who owned it for 2 years and modded it into the pickup. I like to keep my cars in good nick and as a result of it now needing a new bonnet and tailgate i am looking at a bill of 1k to sort it out which I would rather spend on a different car APART FROM THAT ITS A GREAT CAR.

Anybody here know what a car like this is worth? Stroked 3.9 (4.6) V8 brand new 30k miles ago. New rad, steering box, brake pads and all tyres in great nick. The bonnet and boot is alittle rust on the edges so really needs replacing soon before it visable from the outside. The chassis is fine with only surface rust in a few places.

If you cant help me with the above then someone here might be able to give some advice on the cars ive short listed to replace it.

My budget is about 5K which includes whatever the rangey goes for. The cars I like so far are:

1, Nissan skyline R32, but i am unsure what condition they are at this age, what problems they have and what the insurance would b for a 30 year old with 10 years no claims. If its an import, how does this effect the insurance?

2, Nissan 200sx turbo.

3, pulsar gtir.

I am not into the newer models as I think the looks have gone down hill, there over my budget and insurance will be higher.
My aim is to get a nice sports car which is the same or less to insure (£500 a year full comp), cheaper to run (20 mpg+ would be good) large enough to allow me to tow a trailer if needed and reliable.

If anyone here as owned one on the above cars could you give your comments on them please.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

speedyxjs

posted on 1/6/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
5k would get you a good nick jag xjr but fuel consumption is about 19 round town or 20-22 for a manual.
Another option is a civic type-r but might be high mileage at that price.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mookaloid

posted on 1/6/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Had a look at the range rover, it looks quite smart.

Only problem with valuing something like that is that it is a very limited market and it's really what ever someone will pay.

Ebay is probably your best bet

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

iank

posted on 1/6/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly it will probably go to someone who will put a winch on both ends, shorten the back by a ft and cover it in mud and dents.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MOz

posted on 1/6/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Sadly it will probably go to someone who will put a winch on both ends, shorten the back by a ft and cover it in mud and dents.

Use it properly you mean???

MOz

mad dad

posted on 1/6/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me i would go for a good Subaru STI an earlyish classic shape around 1998/99 for 5k. Fabulous car, practical, quick and sounds awesome i've had 4 (various models) and probably going to get another one at the end of the summer.......

iank

posted on 1/6/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MOz
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Use it properly you mean???

MOz

Don't get me wrong, 'proper' 4x4 driving is a fine hobby (though I've never understood why you'd want to spend all day winching to go 100yards which is what a hardcore element seem to delight in).

But having been treated nicely for a long time turning it into a trail basher and denting every panel in a single weekend just seems wrong.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Jasper

posted on 1/6/07 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
You won't get much of an R32 for that money, better bet would be the 200sx, which you will get a lot of car for the money, best place to look is the sxoc forum...... nice reliable VERY tuneable car if you want to play around with it. But it is more of a fast tourer than a sports car...

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.