Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tyre damage?
ruskino80

posted on 2/6/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
tyre damage?

just been out for a drive,about 6 miles into 20 i thought i was skipping around a bit-but i was pushing hard so thought it was just the road undulations,get home and find one of my rear tyres totally flat(found a nail),removed wheel from car immediately to check for rim damage-no damage obvious but the tyre was very hot.
do you think the tyre will be ok to run again seen as there is very little weight on it(ie not crushing the side wall or cutting it into the rim)

Peteff

posted on 2/6/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Let the tyre place look at it, they'll tell you if it's damaged or not and whether it's worth repairing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bouldy

posted on 2/6/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi were there any black sooty deposits anywhere??

My advise would be change it if its got to hot. My job is tyre testing for Goodyear tyres and when tyres over heat they either blow out or loose there natural viscosity. the main thing is you dont know what damage you have done to the carcass running it flat. when the air pressure is lost all the components in the tyre chaff and rub against each other causing heat build up . i think you were lucky that it didnt fail totaly if you were giving it some gun.....

chockymonster

posted on 2/6/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
You'll probably find that the wheel has eaten into the carcass. Being honest you'd be better to throw the tyre than chance it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 2/6/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
As above im afraid. I wouldn't try running on it again after it got really hot.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 2/6/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't use the tyre again especialy if its a realy low profile as the sidewalls wear. When you take the tyre off the rim it will probably be full of rubber dust. I used to be a tyre inspector for Continental untill it shut so Bouldy are there any jobs at Goodyear and i realy miss the money

millenniumtree

posted on 2/6/07 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but I ran a tire completely flat at 70mph.
There were gouges on the sides of the tire, and I replaced it without even asking. $100 per tire too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/6/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest, I was in the local tyre fitters a couple of weeks ago and someone brought a Porsche wheel in and asked him to repair a puncture in it. He refused and offered to fit a new tyre because of the tyre rating and the price of the car. The customer walked out with his wheel but the fitter was adamant that he should not do it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bouldy

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is with Porsche and other high performance exotica, having a repair can invalidate insurance in some instances. they all have to have tyres that have been designed and constructed around each individual make and model. also a z rated tyre is only approved by the tyre manufacturer to have one repair which is determined on inspection by the tyre dealer . If he decides it looks to bad or falls out of the british standard parameters then is is quite right to refuse to repair it. to be honest i would not repair a z rated tyre fitted to a porsche not worth it If you guys saw how we test and what can happen you would never put a dodgy tyre on any vehicle.
ruskino80

posted on 4/6/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks guys-the tyre will be binned,damn shame as its probably only done about 400 miles but better safe than sorry for £70ish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.