Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Tuning
StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
BEC Tuning

What are the options for tuning bike engines?

With cars, there's all the usual stuff that's avaulable from every other engine shop, from the cheaper bits right through to expensive upgrade.

Bike engine stuff seems to be only carb jetting and power commanders - is there anywhere that sells other perfoamnce parts?

MOz

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely loads mate. Depends on what engine and how much money you got...

Big bores, skimmed heads, blueprints, cams, filters, exhausts, turbos, superchargers.......

Where do you think all the BSB teams and privateers get their uprated engines from???

Try searching bigccracing, TTS, etc etc

MOz

StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, there's my mistake - I was looking at companies like Demon Thieves etc.

I was wanting to upgrade the engine over tie, so would start with the smaller items and work my way through the goodies until I'm satisfied with the performance.

How does tuning effect the reliablility in a car installation (obviously, like any tuning, things like clutches etc. would need upgrading to handle the extra power, but this'll be done anyway)

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quaife do gear boxes

Hellfire

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
TBH - the money vs power you spend upgrading a BE is pointless, unless you go Nitro, Turbo. The respective companies have already done pretty much what can be done for you. Airflow is pretty much all you can do as the restrictions on BE is noise.

Regarding reliability... almost every serious upgrade will take more out of the transmission related parts and these will fail much quicker in a BEC.

If you think it's still worth it - go for it!

If you have plenty of money to spend "gaining" loads of power - buy a Pinto and start from there... it'll cost loads, but you'll be starting from a much lower base to achieve a similar figure - but then you'll get much more longevity!

Steve

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/6/07 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Steve, bike engine tuning seems to be a lot more expensie for the gains you get, for example when I had the 919 blade with ~130bhp it would have cost more to tune it to ~155bhp than swap to an R1 with the same power, and if you do the upgrade you also lose the advantage of having a stock engine (ie cheap replacement) and also with the more powerful stock engine you have a gearbox / clutch designed to cope with that power to start with.

[Edited on 3/6/07 by ChrisGamlin]

StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I was weighing up for the future - do I spend money progressively tuning or do I save it up and upgrade to something bigger.

So, apart from a re-jet and maybe a barnettt clutch, I'll just leave it alone.

Coose

posted on 3/6/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
If you really want decent horsepower, the man to spea to is Nicky Kennedy in Scarboghorror (01723 354395). He can get horsepower where others fail...

In the late '90s, Tony Scott was getting 106bhp at the rear wheel of the factory SS600 CBR600s. Nicky was getting 113, and it was properly usable!

The only problem is that you'll well and truly pay for the priviledge as it's a lot of work....

Spin 'er off Well...

StevieB

posted on 3/6/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'll be ok with a re-jet and save the money.

Might even think about just getting the car on the road in the first place (progress is alarmingly slow and my mind is getting too far ahead at the moment!)

russbost

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Best idea is get it thro' sva & on the road, then you can play about with it once you know what you have (& whether you actually need more power) & look at the respective costs for tuning or upgrades etc.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
zxrlocost

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Hobsport racing Engine in my Indy the chap who had it in his bike spent 2 grand on it

the list is basically cylinder head skimmed
bigger inlet outlet ports, re-profiled cams

Block 919 bored out.

took it out for a drive the other day and all I can say is holy shite its fast

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.