Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carb and Throttle cable problems
Furious D

posted on 7/6/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Carb and Throttle cable problems

Some of you may have read the post earlier about my fan belt slipping well on the way home from work the accelerator felt very strange, ok i thought check when i get home. Stopped part way home and then the car would not start. Bugger

A mate was not far behind so he bumped me a start. Got hom and thought i better look under the bonnet. The bracket that holds the throttle cable in place is more or less juts hanging off. One bolt completely missing the other not even finger tight. Managed to tighten that one up but where will i get hold of another and what should i be asking for. I have attached some pics so you can see what i mean.

Also how tight should the carbs be attached to the carb manifold?

Bolt that i have tightened

Bolt that is missing and need to be replaced on opposite side of bracket

This shows the top of the carbs. The two bolts that hold them to the mainifold. I need to get hold of one of these ASAP. Also how tight should they be?

Help please i need to sort this ASAP.

Cheers all
D

cadebytiger

posted on 7/6/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
looks like a manifold stud you need rather then a bolt. Not sure where you get these from. i'm sure someone will know. as for the other one.make sure it is skrewed into the manifold fully (don't over tighten).

Also i am sure you should have a nylock on there! The manifold shacks like a bugger and you cannot tighten things too much so without mylocks they will shack loose.

Do you have misab plates between the carbs and the manifold (not sure if you only used these with webers or if you can use them with dels also)

Rupert

Furious D

posted on 7/6/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, i need a new manifold stud then. Does anyone know what size i would need?

Sorry to be thick not sure if a standard size of my carbs?

D

cadebytiger

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
almost certainly these but best to measure your before you order.

search for STUDM8 at burton power

Rupert

Furious D

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rupert for your help. I phoned BD Engineeirng in Sittingbourne near to where i live and they had some Manifold Studs unfortunately i dont know which ones i needed. They only had one type so the wife went and picked it up with a Thackery washer and locking nut. Total priec £1.79 Will try tonight, if not a my local motor factor place has some. I need to get it done tomorrow before i go on the KENT RUN on Sunday.

Cheers
D

Furious D

posted on 8/6/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well i sent the wife out today to BD Engineering in sittingbourne, these were the guys that did the rolling road back in novemeber and they have one type of Manifold stud so she bought it anyway. Stud, washer and nut £1.79. I can handle that.

Got back from work and straight out into the garage. Now as you know there is bugger all room around and under the carbs on the Tiger however after a while i managed to get the stud into the manifold then tightened up all the nuts.

Took her for a spin.

All i can say i wow! Just like it was when i first bought her. Blipped the throttle coming out the bottom of my road and the arse came out. There was so much power available. Also after tightening all of the manifold studs the car tick over is spot on at 950-1000 rpm. It seem to have cured the cought and farting on over run now too.

Fingers crossed we are back to normal

Cheers
D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.