Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smooth as silk
millenniumtree

posted on 8/6/07 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Smooth as silk

Wheew!! I couldn't start my engine last night but I found out that I had forgotten to plug in the MC valve hose!!

I plugged the hose back in, made sure the AAP vac hoses were plugged and it started right up and for the first time it RAN WITH NO VIBRATION!!

Smooth as silk!!

Then I tested the EGR valve by sucking on the vacuum hose (a clean one). It slowed down and wanted to die when I opened the valve. So the EGR works!!

It ran great!! ...until I tried to shut it down... It was dieseling and bouncing around the engine bay something terrible (also bad motor mounts). After a few seconds though, it stopped. From weeks of running extremely rich, I'm sure there's tons of carbon in the cylinders, so I'm not too worried if that's all it is.

I think I'll try the water treatment to clean the cylinders. This weekend I'll toss a new AAP diaphram on it or just leave it plugged for the carburetor tuning on Monday!

I think I'm going to have a real nice motor here!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
millenniumtree

posted on 8/6/07 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
They sell well in poor desert areas because:
1) They're easy to work on
2) The engines run forever
3) They're inexpensive and parts are plentiful

Toyota trucks are used all throuthout Africa too.
There was an entire war in Africa that was officially named the 'Toyota War' because both factions used toyota pickups as personnel carriers.

It's not Toyota's job to ask its customers how militant they are before handing over the keys.

This was my victorious 'man against machine' post and you're putting a damper on the mood.

My smoky stinky rattly engine with 220,000 miles is now running like a top. Yay me!!

Excuse me now while I go weld up a machine-gun mount and some seating for my homies...

P.S. Did I mention that my truck actually has real bullet holes in the tailgate?? More than likely some drunk farm boys...

[Edited on 8/6/07 by millenniumtree]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 8/6/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Have I missed something here on LB??

A pcik up and then the Taliban ??

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ayoungman

posted on 8/6/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of a change of thread.

"just like that !"

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 8/6/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
As an expat from the dark continent I very well know how these carry on for ever. Top gear dropped one off a block of flats under tons of concrete and it still started

My introduction to sevens was through a seven built out of a hilux

millenniumtree

posted on 8/6/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I saw clips of the Top Gear Hilux stunts. Pretty amazing.

I realize your post was intended as humor of course. No harm done - just a little unexpected, that's all.

Once I have this truck purring and road worthy, I'll take it for a spin by the last owners place - they'll be shocked.
It really was in a sad state of running!! Fuel leaking everywhere and billowing black smoke.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.