Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiled feet, suggestions needed!
se7ensport

posted on 9/6/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Boiled feet, suggestions needed!

my footwell seems to get really hot, particularly at the top, I've fitted heat insulation sheet to the inside and outside of the sides and to the outside of the top, this has reduced it, but the top is still really hot. The top of the pedal box is alloy unlike the rest which is steel sided, I've now added a layer of fibreglass sheet to it and another layer of heat insulation sheet and yet it still gets hotter than the sides.

I'm thinking of changing the top to a different material, carbon fibre, steel or stainless, any other suggestions appreciated. On a similar note the underside of my alloy dash seems to get rather warm as well...

worX

posted on 9/6/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Have you added heat insulation to whatever it is thats getting that area warm, rather than insulating the area that is warm?

Steve

se7ensport

posted on 9/6/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I did have my headers lagged, but the downside is that as I have a stylus and the exhaust runs through the sill it is strongly advised against, it's a big fire risk
emsfactory

posted on 9/6/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
What about something reflective?
se7ensport

posted on 9/6/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've used this stuff

and it seems to work elsewhere, I'm thinking that some of the problem could be due to the alloy as it conducts heat easily, would another material work better?

Humbug

posted on 9/6/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno if you've already considered it, but having some vents for the hot air to exit would probably help. Could you do some Cobra-style exit vents behind the front wheel arches, or something on the top of the rear of the bonnet?

and/or some ducting/channelling inside the engine bay to deflect the hot air down or sideways?

Peteff

posted on 9/6/07 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was a recipe

. A couple of vents at the back of the bonnet or in the side of the engine bay should help the heat get out, I found it tends to go down the gearbox tunnel rather than where I try to deflect it to though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevebubs

posted on 9/6/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think adding fibreglass sheet will actually help the issue as it will soak up the heat.

Unfortunately in my experience, Furies et al suffer quite badly from heatsoak in the foot compartment and I'm not sure there's much that can be done about it other than to fit aircon.

S

stevebubs

posted on 9/6/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
PS Yes - lagged headers in a Stylus/Fury/Pheonix is a big "no no"

FWIW, I've drilled vent holes in the bottom of my pods...not noticable from the side as they're underneath

James

posted on 9/6/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hassle but what about some old PC fans or summat in there to duct some cool air over your tootsies?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/07 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ceramic coating on the manifold and exhaust? Supposed to reduce temperature a fair bit. Never used it myself so cannot comment how effective it is.
se7ensport

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
PS Yes - lagged headers in a Stylus/Fury/Pheonix is a big "no no"

FWIW, I've drilled vent holes in the bottom of my pods...not noticable from the side as they're underneath

I've already done that, it's reduced the temp in the side pod, but footwell is still roasting!

zetec7

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of adding vents to the outside of the car that I could open and close (in the area beside my feet), maybe with a push-pull cable or similar arrangement. High-speed cold air rushing in there should do the trick...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
se7ensport

posted on 9/6/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Dunno if you've already considered it, but having some vents for the hot air to exit would probably help. Could you do some Cobra-style exit vents behind the front wheel arches, or something on the top of the rear of the bonnet?

and/or some ducting/channelling inside the engine bay to deflect the hot air down or sideways?

I've already got this

I'm going to look at sorting some ducting from the header to the vent.

stevebubs

posted on 9/6/07 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is the footwell roasting when at speed or just when idle?

When moving above 30mph or so, mine's not too bad; I don't have *any* insulation on mine. Only reflective insulation is on the inside walls of the removable pod.

Only time it was really really bad was when the manifold disconnected itself from the silencer

scotmac

posted on 10/6/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Second the ceramic coating. Is that not that expensive (in the states atleast), and will produce great results (assuming it is the manifold/exhaust pipess that are causing the problem).
se7ensport

posted on 10/6/07 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Is the footwell roasting when at speed or just when idle?

When moving above 30mph or so, mine's not too bad; I don't have *any* insulation on mine. Only reflective insulation is on the inside walls of the removable pod.

Only time it was really really bad was when the manifold disconnected itself from the silencer

seems to be hot most of the time I will check for exhaust leaks though..

i'll look in to ceramic coating.

Cheers all.

Alex

stevebubs

posted on 8/7/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
The key thing for a Fury exhaust is you don't want there to be a hot spot (crack in ceramic coating, gap/thin exhaust wrap) as common agreement on the sylva list is that this will be the quickest way to set fire to the pod....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.