Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: help on extending R1 ignition leads
mad-butcher

posted on 11/6/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
help on extending R1 ignition leads

Hi Guys
need some advice on how to extend (replace) the HT leads on the R1 coils, the spike inside the coil does't appear to be threaded.
regards
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ferrino

posted on 11/6/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The advice I got on this (think it was a gem from Coosey) when I needed to do this was to buy some 7mm copper-cored HT lead, dip the coil end of the lead in epoxy, 'screw' it firmly onto the 'barb' inside the coil and let it set. I then sealed up around the bit where the lead enters the coil housing with some silicone just to be safe and this has worked fine for 1,500 miles and 3 trackdays. I just used some cheap leads from VWP, as I didn't have any SVA requirements for supression/whatever. HTH.
amalyos

posted on 12/6/07 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same, but didn't use any epoxy, just took the clips off the cables at the coil, and pulled the cables out from coil and plug caps, then replaced with longer copper core HT lead.
SVA didn't ask or check for supression, and I've had no problems.

Steve

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Coose

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ferrino!

Yep, that's what I did, though I didn't dip the end of the lead in epoxy (Araldite), I smeared it liberally on the insulation of the lead where it would enter the coil.

Mine have been very happy for 6000 miles, including many-a trackday and some torrential rain!

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.