Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Top Column Bush
PeterW

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Top Column Bush

I want to remove all the alloy crap at the top of my steering column and just leave a plain tube with a single new stalk for the indicators.

However, the alloy bit holds the top bearing for the inner column and I'm damned if I can work out a decent way to put a bearing back into the top so the column doesn't wobble.

So 2 questions...

Anyone done it before...?

How did you do it...?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel for the sake of picking someones brains if possible !

Also, if I pull hard on the column the bottom bearing pulls out of its tube (Tiger Cat E1). How can I stop that..? Jubilee clip below the mounting..?

Cheers

Pete

bigrich

posted on 13/6/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
you can use a jubilee clip to secue the lower bush and this is my column top i just use a on/off/on toggle switch on the dasy for the indicators

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

PeterW

posted on 14/6/07 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Rich

That looks like you have turned down the top alloy steering lock assembly..? IS that the case..?

I was looking to replace it entirely - not sure whether I could use a Delrin rod or somthing similar to make a bearing to fit.

Cheers

Pete

ayoungman

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get a large spherical joint(rose joint) to replace the complete bearing. That would allow you to secure the top of the column properly. HTH

"just like that !"

PeterW

posted on 14/6/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thought about a bearing, but the size of the tubes involved (19/20mm bore, 36mm outer) means there are very few bearings that meet those requirements.

I was thinking the sort of forces a steering wheel gets, a long delrin or similar bearing may work better. Anyone able to turn something down like that for beer tokens..?

Looks like I need to keep thinking...

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.