Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Argh! Gravel everywhere!
David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Argh! Gravel everywhere!

Suffolk County Council have decided that now is the time to spray tar on the roads and drop gravel on top. If you're lucky the roadsweeper comes along a few days later to remove the surplus. Just about every one of my favourite 'play routes' now has a coating of loose gravel on top somewhere along the line.

Stone chips on the tin-top and gravel rattling round my crash-helmet when I'm in the toy car!

There must be a better way of doing it...

Duncan_P

posted on 14/6/07 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

More to the point,

Is there a worse way of doing it.....

It really drives me mad when they do this, especially as it normally brakes up very quickly and you end up with a surface as bad if not worse than you had before.

Its a bit unusual for them to be doing at this time of year though, they normally reserve it for using up the last of the road maintainance budget at the end of a financial year (not that im cynical.....much).

Last time I had to endure the pleasure of this i was sat in a que on the 'quality' gravel surface growing increasingly as i was getting showered with gravel by inconsiderate ******* driving at 60(ish) on the other side of the road......when i spotted a gorgeous Ferrari 550 in the que behind me. I really felt sorry for him, im quite protective over my tintop but at the end of the day its hardly a great car and i was getting so he must have been seething

Ivan

posted on 14/6/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Stone chips on the tin-top and gravel rattling round my crash-helmet when I'm in the toy car!

As a retired gravel spreader this is a necessary road treatment sometimes.

However if it's done right - a SINGLE layer of closely packed stone chips spread at the right time etc - then it won't strip off and you get a good road with great grip and some noise. If it strips off they've done it wrong and have more than one layer of chips!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
What amazed me was where there were a few blokes digging a trench in a side lane (the one to 'Jimmy's Farm, for the Ipswich folk) while the gravel was being laid.

Next day, there was a brand-new trench and repair patch right across the new gravel!

Good co-ordination, guys...

RazMan

posted on 14/6/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
And it's sticky gravel too! The same has happened to my favourite 'test track' route in the Braintree area - all 10 miles of it! The stuff seems to be stuck with araldite ...... to my car

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 14/6/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect excuse to find some new favourite play routes?
nick205

posted on 14/6/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Likewise around Winchester

Sticky gravel coating on both tin tops and the MK too

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Perfect excuse to find some new favourite play routes?

Trouble is, they're working all over the place, and there's a significant chance I'll end up having to drive over this stuff at some time or other!

The only place you can be sure of avoiding it is on the major dual cabbageways - but they're no fun at all in a 7...

tom_loughlin

posted on 14/6/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
At least your council are rediong the roads! I still have 3" potholes..have to drive 5 miles before I can find a semi decent stretch of road.

Also, it could be worse, could have picked a baking hot week....by the time the weather improves, the chippings will be long gone!

I find it hard to believe people are grumbling at recently resurfaced roads... You really should see the ones round here

millenniumtree

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
They did exactly the same thing here on my favorite road - and I'm in the states.

I really didn't see what was wrong with the road before they spread this stuff either. It was smooth and quiet. I could do 60 and still have a chat with my wife. Now I do 40 and can't hear her.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by millenniumtree
It was smooth and quiet. I could do 60 and still have a chat with my wife. Now I do 40 and can't hear her.

Now that I don't see as a problem

DarrenW

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan_P
quote:

......when i spotted a gorgeous Ferrari 550 in the que behind me. I really felt sorry for him, im quite protective over my tintop but at the end of the day its hardly a great car and i was getting so he must have been seething

His respray would cost more than my car is worth - not nice.

Im surprised the roads into Newark showground havent been done this week - they seem timed to cause max aggrivation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.