Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Land Rover Experts?
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Any Land Rover Experts?

Hi i have been searching for help with a problem with my wifes Discovery but am going round in circles and getting conflicting info so thought i would try here.
Over the last week it developed a vibration that feels like its drivetrain related.It doesn't do it all the time though. Finaly had time to look at it today and found a knackered uj on the prop. Woo Hoo thought me as i had one in stock so changed it and the vibration is still there. Jacked up front wheel and found slightly sticking brake on n/s and slight wheel bearing play on o/s and it sounds as if the cv joint is on its way out. Didn't have time to investigate further. Any ideas what could be causing the vibration? cv joint? sticky brake? There is nothing else obvious that could be causing it. Its a 1994 non abs model with 200,000 miles on it. Any help would be apreciated as i need to keep in the good books Cheers Ronnie

I know its hard to diagnose these things over the internet but am hoping the problem is familiar to someone. I am not a member of any Land Rover forums and don't realy want to join another forum as am stuggling to remember my 500 ish passwords i use just now

[Edited on 17/6/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

blakep82

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
the sticky brake could have overheated a brake disc and warped it, but you'd probably thought of that already...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ketchup

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
out of shape rear tyre?
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the suggestions coming and i will check it out tomorrow after work. Going out to check tyres just now though

Tyres seem ok just a slight lack of tread

andybod

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
transmission brake expander sticking causing brake to bind and vibrate through vehicle at what speed is it vibrating anymore details
mark chandler

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Preload on swivel hubs, at that sort of mileage you should have pinched out a couple of shims by now on each side.

If you knock off the steering rods there should be slight resistance when rocking on the pivot. The preload effectively acts as a damper on the hubs.

Test of CV's is stick it in reverse, lock the middle diff and reverse slowly full lock each way, if its knackered you will here them click.

Regards Mark

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybod
transmission brake expander sticking causing brake to bind and vibrate through vehicle at what speed is it vibrating anymore details

There is a slight vibration when you start but gets bad around 30 mph then goes away but doesn't do it all the time but i did think the handbrake lever was higher than before. Its hard to tell as i dont drive it very often.

Lawnmower

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
tyres, wheel balancing/mud on wheel?, bearings? grease all your ujs/cvs ball joints etc, play on wheels?
bushes ok?

can you hear anything or can a pedestrian hear anything as you drive past?

or try:
landrovernet.com
mud-club.com

owelly

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Steering damper? Disconnect it and see if there is plenty of resistance. If in doubt, fit a new one as they are only £20ish.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 17/6/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is it 30 mph in any gear ?
ie 30 mph in 2nd and 30mph in 5th.
If so you can probably count ou engine side.

I would suggest swapping the wheels round and see if changes anything.

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 17/6/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies. All the joints are greased the knackered 1 didn't have a nipple It was making a squeek but thought that might have been the uj. Steering damper is ok (just) as it was off not that long ago as i had to weld the sump. The vibration is at 30 mph in any gear.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 18/6/07 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
If the hand brake is not adjusted correctly ie slightly binding it can also give this fault as well as worn cv joints front are you still useing oil are have they been converted to grease

The handbrake needs tightening up fully and then backing of 1.5 turns you need a ractchet and 17mm socket paint a white line on it so you can see
i got this info from the guys at Guy Salmon landrover at sheffield many moons ago

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

britishtrident

posted on 18/6/07 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Obviously a balance issue --- check tyres and wheels carefully, if nothing obvious (lumps, bulges, buckled rims) get all 4 wheels balanced.
ayoungman

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
wheels

I would say its definately a wheel/tyre balance issue. Perhaps lost a balance weight. If vibration occurs at 30 mph in any gear, its not engine related. In a car, tyre inbalance normally shows at 50-60 mph, but 4X4 wheels being heavier, this can show up at lower speeds. hth

"just like that !"

PeterW

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Tried the centre bearing..? The donut at the back on the diff nose can break up and give these sort of symptoms

Pete

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 18/6/07 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all i knew i would get a good response here. I will try and look at it after work.and see if i can get it up on my mates ramp if he has time and another mate is the manager in a place with all singing and dancing alignment and balancing equipment. Its just a worry with the wife driving it. Over the summer i am planing to replace all the brakes,the clutch,suspension and the rear crossmember so hopefully everything should be ok after that. My father in law wants me to look at his 90 as its mot is due and my mother in laws freelander has got a missfire that need attention! No wonder i am so behind on building this locost thingy............

[Edited on 18/6/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.