Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is britain slowing down?
JoelP

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
is britain slowing down?

work seems to be drying up at the min, a fair few people in several trades up and down the country have noticed similar things. Have you noticed a change? Still busy? Do you think interest rates are to blame or something else?

Discuss

scottc

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Interest rates are about 60% higher than they were 2 years ago (or thereabouts) makes a big difference!
davrus

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
What trade are you in.

I am in the motor trade and we are flat out. Busyer than ever.

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davrus
What trade are you in.

I am in the motor trade and we are flat out. Busyer than ever.

I concurr on that one, I have 6 weeks work stacked up ready to do, customers getting a bit impatient, but capacity is well under demand

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
kitchen fitting.

(can i say does anyone want one without getting banned?!)

skydivepaul

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
we are dead this week.
we've got about a couple of weeks work to do then we need some more.

anyone want some CCTV or access control systems?

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

adithorp

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm motor trade and we're dead. We always are in June though.

Adrian

whitestu

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not in a trade anymore, but if you look at the amount of house building going on in London and then add in the Olymplics, Tube upgrades and amount of money being spent building / refurbishing schools I can't imagine much slowing down in any trade linked to the building industry.

As long as you are prepared to work in London.
Stu

[Edited on 28/6/07 by whitestu]

nib1980

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm flat out busy now, but I'm not allowed to tell you whatn I do he he
richardR1

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
kitchen fitting.

Would have thought there will be plenty of work shortly replacing flood damaged kitchens especially if you can get in with the insurance companies.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

Aboardman

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
i work in an architects are we are dead, nothing for the last month, and nothing coming in

been thinking about retraining but do not know what.

ELO

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm slowing down to, (well at work at least!) but then I work at a school

This time of year is great, Yr 11 finished their GCSE's, Yr10 on work experience (there goes all the businesses in Bedford ) and Yr 9 on 'Alternative curriculum' week. So far been snowboarding in Milton Keynes last week, doing D of E next and going cycling for the day!
It *almost* makes up for being sworn at on a regular basis!

Roll on July 21st!
ed

Hellfire

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
kitchen fitting.

Seeing as you plugging a service thats either your own or close to your heart, and blatantly trying to get sales from the post, what about signing up as a "trader" to support this site. ?

Phil

se7ensport

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I hate to be a doom mongure, but it looks as though we are heading in to a global recession, possible depression.

We are at peak oil, the yen carry trade is unwinding, CDO are about to get revalued (look at bear sterns funds collapsing in the last week), UK personal debt has just topped £1.3trillion, USA is at the beginning of a massive house price crash (when they catch a cold we get the flu), interest rates are going to continue to increase (the historic long term average is approx 7%!!!!), we have had 10years of continuous growth due to exceptionally low interest rates (nothing to do with Brown), when this comes to an end a painfull revision to the mean will commence.

I'm in the process of loking into a recession proof job: anything involving booze, debt collection, councilling or removals is likely to do well.

The last time things looked this bad was 1929.

TangoMan

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Slowing down.... I wish!!

I am importing nearly 4000 cars over this weekend and am still trying to find sufficient transporter capacity to move then to storage.

No-one has any spare capacity as everyone is flat out.

Probably my busiest weekend/ of the year so far. God knows who the manufacturers think will buy all these cars.

Summer's here!!!!

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I work in the electronic manufacturing industry and we are realy struggling. The only thing keeping us going is that some companies want the work to be done in this country rather than China etc. I can see the place closing within a year .75 %of the workforce have been paid off in the last 2 years

higgsti

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
im in double glazing and its been feast and famine this year.one minute ive loads of work then it gets to a week ahead then its back again
billynomates

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
hate to be a doom mongure, but it looks as though we are heading in to a global recession, possible depression.

We are at peak oil, the yen carry trade is unwinding, CDO are about to get revalued (look at bear sterns funds collapsing in the last week), UK personal debt has just topped £1.3trillion, USA is at the beginning of a massive house price crash (when they catch a cold we get the flu), interest rates are going to continue to increase (the historic long term average is approx 7%!!!!), we have had 10years of continuous growth due to exceptionally low interest rates (nothing to do with Brown), when this comes to an end a painfull revision to the mean will commence.

I'm in the process of loking into a recession proof job: anything involving booze, debt collection, councilling or removals is likely to do well.

That could have come straight from the mouth of David Cameron.

But your obviously not him as you must be at least 79 years old if you can remember 1929

Avoneer

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Our workload is always there!

And my job's pretty safe - as long as you lot keep committing motoring offences and other folk keep breaking the law.

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minordelay

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I work in what I thought would be a fairly stable job, FE teaching. I've seen one round of volantary redundancies, and expect another soon, In only 4 years!!!
Kids are crap they think there owed everything, beats been on the spanners and chasing bonus, I'll take my chances.

If the economy doesn't kill this country the future workforce might, maybe I'm too cynical.

Simon

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Art founder.

While we are reasonably priced, our clients products (that we make) sell in the high end luxury goods type of market, and I reckon if things keep going the way they are, we'll have a cracking year.

Which is nice!

Feel for you if things are tight, been there before!

ATB

Simon

se7ensport

posted on 29/6/07 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billynomates
hate to be a doom mongure, but it looks as though we are heading in to a global recession, possible depression.

That could have come straight from the mouth of David Cameron.

But your obviously not him as you must be at least 79 years old if you can remember 1929

From the mouth of david cameron? I doubt it, he is a toff playing at being an MP, he doesn't understand the first thing about economics or the consequences of a "global economy".

re: 1929, the simularities are uncanny, but unfortunatley on a much larger scale, I'm not suggesting buying tinned food and burying it, but that the last ten years will seem very comfortable compared to what we are about to experience over the next 10.

The economic cycle has not been broken, only extended (by keeping interest rates at an artificially low level, as quoted by Lord George), nobody will disagree that we have been in a boom period for the last decade, only the misguided will suggest a "soft landing" will follow (never in the history of man has a boom not been followed by a bust as the mean is restored).

t.j.

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
In NL we're growing stronger.
We heave workmen short!

Now we have polnish guys but they also get short.

Can't say we're heading for a down-wards economy any more.

Things looking good.

So when will the UK get that euro

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

speedyxjs

posted on 29/6/07 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
We run the local frozen meal delivery service and ours is about normal, although trade does drop off in the summer (not that we have had much of one ). I think more people eat salads in the summer.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

fesycresy

posted on 29/6/07 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Books closed to new customers !

As of the 1st July, I'll have 160 services outstanding (varying from half day jobs to 6 week jobs).

Orders for new installation backed up, breakdowns coming in everyday as well as the day to day remedial / repair works.

If there are any ACS qualified industrial heating engineers or air conditioning / refrigeration engineers in South Wales reading this - please ring me ! You start Monday.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.