Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cable to Hydrolic Clutch Convertion
davepro

posted on 7/7/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cable to Hydrolic Clutch Convertion

Hi Guys

Does any body know what is involved in converting a type 9 gearbox to a hydrolic clutch from a cable type. Is it relitively easy or i it one of those job you just dont do

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave Prouten

andylancaster3000

posted on 7/7/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Well, it all depends on whether you want a concentric cylinder (monuted over input shaft in bellhousing) or an externel slave which actuates the release arm as the cable would. Externel ones are generally easier to fit but there can be space issues. Most tend to push the release are, so to make it work on a type 9 it has to be mounted behind the arm further down the tunnel. Common ones available are from wilwood or a standard mini/metro type.

Concentric setups tend to be neater and are hidden inside the bellhousing. These require a bit of machining to the box and to make an adapter for the slave. Saab type slaves seem to be popular. Below is our version with a vectra slave.

Note that there isnt a release bearing on atm.

HTH,
Andy

Werner Van Loock

posted on 7/7/07 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
This has just been done by Robert Farley (stylussprinter) of our club.

More info here:
http://www.clubstylus.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=286

At the bottom he has placed a general explanation of what to measure, machine and buy.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 7/7/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Dave

I've got to ask why you'd want/need to do it?

Wyn

Dave Bailey

posted on 7/7/07 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Burton do a kit that is similar to the Saab cylinder except you don't have to modify the box just add a different front plate. The kit is not cheap (£100+) but looks the biz. I kept an eye out on flea bay etc and found a new unused kit for £60.00 with remote bleed kit etc included. I just needed to buy the correct type 9 mount.

Dave B

Dave B

Syd Bridge

posted on 7/7/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a pic on ebay of a late Transit hydraulic clutch clave. It looked like it replaced the cable(???).

Anyone know any more about these?

I've been using the Wilwood with success, and the Mini slave is not too difficult to adapt externally.

Otherwise its a Mondeo/Focus or Saab slave internally.

Cheers,
Syd.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.