hi

What kind of suspensionbushes
is everybody using on an locost;
(rubber)
from what car?
i want to use them as antivibration bushes on my bec indy

bye,
koen ( netherlands)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think many use PU bushes. If you need rubber ones and size isnt important, start with any common ones and work from there. Triumph herald bushes are recommended in the book so these should be available fairly easily...

dont know how well they damp vibrations though in comparison to any other ones.

Rorty

posted on 26/8/03 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
If you want the bushes to isolate feedback from the road, then Metalistic (rubber) bushes from the likes of said Triumph would do. Metalastic bushes were made for just about every conceivable vehicle at one time, so if the Triumph ones don't suit the tube that's available, search through old catalogues/motor factor for bushes that do fit.
PU is virtually indestructable, and will outlast any rubber ones by far. The type of PU most commonly used for these bushes, is normally 70 or 80 shore (harder than rubber), so therefore, wont absorb as much vibration.
Metalastic bushes can be a real pain in the 4rse to replace, once they become worn. They invariably bond themselves to the parent metal, and then need to be burnt out, destroying any painted finish on the wishbones.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 26/8/03 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
How does the 'shore' rating system work, ie does a larger number indicate a more resistant material. Also is it possible to give a shore rating, (or an aproximation of) to a metalastic bush?

Mick

leto

posted on 26/8/03 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
We are going to try to use the rubber bushes from Volvo 120 ('60) and early 140. They comes without any tubes and are wider and shorter than the Triumph bush. They are still easy to find here in Sweden and attractively priced, a set of 4 is a little over 3£

Cheers Leif.

darren(SA)

posted on 26/8/03 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How does the 'shore' rating system work, ie does a larger number indicate a more resistant material. Also is it possible to give a shore rating, (or an aproximation of) to a metalastic bush?

the lower the Shore hardness the softer the rubber/poly etc and visa versa. A common rubber component is prob around 60'. the 70'-80' u'll prob struggle 2 stick ur finger nail in (if you know what I mean?)

Rorty, I made the mistake of making 60' rubber bushes for my susp with bad results, I'm going 2 change 2 poly in a week or 2, should I make them 70', 80' or 90'?

thanks
darren

Rorty

posted on 27/8/03 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
70 and 80 Shore-A are the most common grades used for road-going cars, so I would choose one or other of them. Obviously 80 shore would be more sport orientated. You could go as high as 100 if you bought some hollow rod and turned the bushes out of that, though they would be akin to Nylon, and would feel almost solid.

darren(SA)
quote:

I made the mistake of making 60' rubber bushes for my susp

Did you pour the 60 shore bushes yourself, or were they turned/off the shelf. Very soft at 60 shore.

Cheers, Rorty.

darren(SA)

posted on 27/8/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
We've got a rubber moulding company so they were moulded. I still have the moulds so I'll use them for the poly, (mix and pour )!

cheers
darren

pbura

posted on 27/8/03 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I would like to use Spitfire rubber bushings for a good ride and low noise. The handling couldn't be too terrible for a road car, as the Spit was a sports car after all.

Rorty's comments are giving me pause, though. Going through all that every two or three years, plus a wheel alignment, would be a PITA, so I'm considering PU rated 75-80 duro.

Some manufacturers of insanely expensive PU bushes claim that their products deform like rubber, while the inferiors don't. I'm not sure how much of this is hype; if anyone knows for sure I'd like to hear about it.

DuPont has a Delrin (grade AF) that is 1/3 Teflon in composition so it never needs lubing, and is rated 83 duro. This is slightly hard for my taste, but probably perfect for someone who will race occasionally.

Pete

darren(SA)

posted on 27/8/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mix: The maximum shore hardness you can get is 100' so call it 100% 0 being the lowest.

Shore hardness shouldn't be used for measuring metal, if you do however, the reading would be 100'

Rorty

posted on 28/8/03 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
pbura:
quote:

DuPont has a Delrin (grade AF) that is 1/3 Teflon in composition so it never needs lubing, and is rated 83 duro. This is slightly hard for my taste, but probably perfect for someone who will race occasionally.

I use quite a lot of Acetal, but bushes made from it have absolutely zero flex, so you'd need to be perfectly sure your wishbone pivots were on the same axis.
Think of it as metal.

Cheers, Rorty.

pbura

posted on 28/8/03 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I use quite a lot of Acetal, but bushes made from it have absolutely zero flex, so you'd need to be perfectly sure your wishbone pivots were on the same axis.
Think of it as metal.

Sorry to be a spreader of misinformation, but the hardness of Delrin 100AF is 83 on the Shore "D" scale used for harder materials, not the "A" scale used for softer plastics such as polyurethane.

The table I had referred to specified "duro" with no mention of scale. This stuff makes a terrific bearing, but is VERY HARD!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.