Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vista home premium and no cd/dvd drives.
davy

posted on 14/7/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
vista home premium and no cd/dvd drives.

Got vista up and running , not bad. I have a problem, I cannot read or write to the cd/dvd drives. It shows them in the device manager but not in my computor. I cannot use any software to check. I even bought a vista approved new dvd read/ writer but still have the same problem. Could it be a registry problem and it so how do I sort it out. Any help welcome. Davy
McLannahan

posted on 15/7/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
If they're in Device Manager it's a good start!

Can you see the drives in Disk Management?

Have you tried re-assigning another drive letter to the drives? They could be clashing with another drive already in the PC (card-readers. USB drives etc...)

Right Click the drives in Disk Management and re-assign another letter for the drives. That may sort things!

I can give more details if needed

Start Orb - in "Start Search" Type "computer management". It'll then list Computer Management in the Programs list. Click on this to launch the application. Click on "Continue" if it does pop up!

Down left hand side (under "Storage" is Disk Management. Open this section and have a look to see if your drives are listed. If they are...Huzzah. Right click each one and re-assign another letter that's not in use already.

[Edited on 15/7/07 by McLannahan]

Hellfire

posted on 15/7/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to remove the drive from the device manager altogether. Then reboot - Vindows Vespa should find it again on reboot and install.

Steve

Keith Weiland

posted on 16/7/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
could be the IDE controller, try deleting the ide controller from device manager and restart. it should find it and install the driver automatically on reboot.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 16/7/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Its a known problem with the recommended updates on vista. you have to remove registry entries to fix it. do a search on google, and you should find it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.